Could you do your job without an engineering degree?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just had to get to a point where I realized and understood that my self worth is not determined by someone else's opinion, be it a boss or a stranger on the internet.
It's not always about self-worth, though. Sometimes it's about making sure that the jurisdiction accepts documents I signed (in a State I am licensed in), that a contractor does what I tell them to do, or that the client doesn't get offended because he takes me as lower-tier help. From my PoV, it's not just about respect to me: It's also about respect to my office, the State Board's ability to make their own choices about who to license, and our profession.
All of those things are external factors and shouldn't really matter...

ie. If a contractor doesn't do what you tell them to do, who ends up facing the consequences of that decision? Same with the jurisdiction item... your observing it all from your own view, but aren't those issues that every PE can possibly face regardless of their education level? I've seen plenty of times where a contractor didn't do what the PE put on the plans, and they ended up re-doing their work...

The other project engineer at my workplace got his degree in architecture. So yes, people can do my job without an engineering degree.

Although his chance of advancement is zero until/if he gets a PE.

But in my case, I was 26 with five years of work experience and probably going to kill the next 21-year-old engineer who talked down to me for not having a degree. So my engineering degree was required; prison being the only alternative.

I have specialized experience that I wouldn't have otherwise received had it not been for my degrees, so I would say no to question 1.

I have provided my transcripts to my employers. I don't know whether or not they have reviewed them...

If we're honest, then no a degree is probably not an absolute requirement, but some due diligence is required by our society to prove ourselves capable of understanding the issues.

I know a very capable design tech/survey guy (has his own consulting firm). He's one of the smartest people I've met, but he refuses to recognize the importance of a professional license/degree. I didn't mind his design suggestions until I started my own firm. It was then that I understood the problem with his attitude. The problem is that if or when something goes wrong, he has no liability and no responsibility to society.

He blocked a large local project due to his failure to recognize all design aspects. With a degree, he might have thought it thru. People may lose their jobs because of it. As such, I have a new respect for our education and licensure requirements.

(Rereading this, I should note that I am not in competition with this guy in any way)

Last edited by a moderator:
The degree shows that you are capable of finishing a task. The work I do is mostly algebra and common sense, but acquiring the degree was the foundation for that common sense, aka engineering judgement.

I agree with others in that an engineering degree weeds out the less qualified. Most of the work you do is based on training and these days almost everything is done with computers, so no calculations are needed.

You'd obviously have to have your degree to get a PE, so you could only "fake it" for so long.

A significant portion of time I would say yes. Also yes to second question. My opinion - getting engineering degree is not an intelligence test, more so it is an endurance test. Shows you can set a goal, persevere and finish. Remember that speech on first day of freshman year? " look to the left and look to the right, that person will not be here in 4 years". How true. That is what sets people apart that have engineering degree.

A significant portion of time I would say yes. Also yes to second question. My opinion - getting engineering degree is not an intelligence test, more so it is an endurance test. Shows you can set a goal, persevere and finish. Remember that speech on first day of freshman year? " look to the left and look to the right, that person will not be here in 4 years". How true. That is what sets people apart that have engineering degree.
Very well said.

Absolutely. In fact, initially I did my job w/o the benefit of a degree. I was first hired back in 1999 as a CAD draftsman and worked my way up the ladder. In that TIME, I have started and finished knight classes, and taken and passed both the FE and PE. It isn't the way most people want to do it. Most want to walk into the position and rely on their educational background. However, the reality for me was that I couldn't afford to go to school fullTIME and had to juggle both work and school at the same. However, I will say that as I continued through school, my professional experience actually worked in my favor, making my classes much easier. Part of me still thinks that no matter what my job title is, I will always be the 21 y.o. kid they hired with only drafting experience. So to come full circle and answer the first question, yes. They actually often hire candidates with limited or no knowledge and train them which will also support my answer to the second question of no.

Back