Could be to soon to ask but....If you didn't pass, what was your score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
47/80 Failed PE civil Structures 1st attempt

Personally, I targeted at 56/80. The morning session was easy. You need to score 32~35. I took the geotech. Although the geotech subject pass rate is low (61% for first time taker), it is certainly not the most difficult one. The afternoon session did require some engineering judgement. I struggled with quite a few problems. But I'm confident to get at least 23~25 correct. That's my personal strategy. Also, you need to avoid careless mistake. I corrected two problems through my recheck. I also solved one problem, which was totally new to me, by looking into one of the books I brought to the exam.

Best of luck in October!

Thanks, I have to work on speed personally, didn't have time to go over and check my problems, and had to guess on 10-15 to avoid leaving empty problems.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Failed Civil structural with 50/80 - 2nd attempt, studied about 3 months/200 hours. (First attempt with no studying: 41/80)

@Baconator I saw you listed the cut score for the power exam on this thread... do you have any idea what the civil structural was? I saw as high as 52/80 as failing so far....

Failed Civil structural with 50/80 - 2nd attempt, studied about 3 months/200 hours. (First attempt with no studying: 41/80)

@Baconator I saw you listed the cut score for the power exam on this thread... do you have any idea what the civil structural was? I saw as high as 52/80 as failing so far....
Did u take EET or SoPE?

Passed Civil Structural after taking School of PE. Highly recommend for structural depth, loved the structural professor.

I would recommend to the people who failed the structural PE is to really try to get at least 35/40 on the morning. Along with many others who passed, we found that you should try to rack up as many points as possible in the morning and try and hold on during the afternoon portion because it's much harder. If you get 35 in the morning correct you only need to get like ~50% of the afternoon correct.

Thanks, I have to work on speed personally, didn't have time to go over and check my problems, and had to guess on 10-15 to avoid leaving empty problems.

OMG, that's too slow. And your strategy might not be right. Did you finish the exam by a couple of passes? Typically, for your first pass, you just finish those problems that you are very familiar with and leave the rest to your second pass. For the second pass, you finish the problems that you know where you can find the related equations and steps. For the last pass, you just look into the materials that you brought to the exam. I basically brought every book I have to the exam, although it turned out I didn't need most of them. But you never know. This strategy helps you to avoid to stuck on problems. You really don't realize how time flies when you stuck on a specific problem.

Another thing is that you don't need to make sure you can score 56/80 with 100% confidence. I think 50/80 with 100% confidence is enough. For the rest 30 questions, even a 25% change of guessing will give you 7 correct. And for those problems, it's not uncommon for you to eliminate at least one answer that is obviously incorrect.

Passed Civil Structural after taking School of PE. Highly recommend for structural depth, loved the structural professor.

I would recommend to the people who failed the structural PE is to really try to get at least 35/40 on the morning. Along with many others who passed, we found that you should try to rack up as many points as possible in the morning and try and hold on during the afternoon portion because it's much harder. If you get 35 in the morning correct you only need to get like ~50% of the afternoon correct.
I could have written a post that said exactly this. Literally every word is the same for me.

I made sure to take enough morning practice exams to consistently get 35 questions correct, and I feel the same about the actual morning exam as I did about the practice exams (even though I think it was a bit harder), so I suspect I got around 35 correct in the morning. I consistently got 30-35 correct on the structural depth practice exams, but the actual structural depth exam was much harder than the practice ones. I answered about 20/40 with reasonable confidence, about 10 with less confidence, 7 with very little confidence, and 3 blind guesses.

I figured if I got about 35 correct on the morning, I only needed 20-22 correct in the afternoon. I can assume I got 3/4 of the ones I answered confidently correct, so that's 15. I then assumed I got 1/3 of the remainder correct, so that was 6 or 7, which would put me right where I thought I needed to be. Based on that logic, I told people that I think I passed, but I wasn't very confident.

Did u take EET or SoPE?
I did all of my studying on my own (no structured review courses)  Just used the PPI review book, review questions book and the practice exam from NCEES)

Last edited by a moderator:

Where did you see 52/80 in Structures? Can you share the link

I have been lurking this site for several weeks now and decided to join. I took Civil- Structural April 2018 and passed. A great way to study is to have a study buddy. Someone to keep you accountable and work through problems together. I wouldn't have been able to stay committed to studying without my S.O. We kept each other accountable and would study every night. In the past coworkers have teamed up to tackle practice problems. I also highly recommend taking as many practice exams and problems as possible. I don't even have an undergrad in Civil (masters is structural though) but was able to learn enough to get me through the morning portion through practice problems. 

For those that didn't pass, know the whole engineering commmunity is behind you! I will be cheering for all of you come October!

Thanks, what I did was go through and Mark them 1 thru 4 depending on difficult level, but my timing was still so slow that me guessing was the first finish, and I didn't have time to go over any of them. Any pointers on speeding the time doing problems? That definitely was my downfall.

Back