Cost of Registering for the PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much does it cost you to register for the actual exam?

• < $100

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $100-149

• $150-199

• $200-249

• $250-299

• $300-350

• >$350

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Bigwolf

Shall I call you Logan, Weapon X???
Reaction score
Just curious what others pay.

The "great state of Cal-e-for-naa" :210: charges $275 each time you register for it.

I think in Missouri - we had an application fee - like $100

Then once the app was approved to sit, you had to register, I was thinking that was another $100 or so?

Been long enough that I can't remember, but I do know that the App fee, just to see if you can sit was $100 in our state.

NH

$100 to apply

$160 if approved, to take the test

$30 if you pass the test to get your license

NY

$345 to NYS Education Dept.

$205 to Castle Worldwide

I believe that the NYS fee is "one-time" meaning that you don't have to pay again to re-test if you fail (fortunately I didn't have to find out). I'm still waiting on the state to send my license number so I'm not sure what, if any, fees there are from here on out. Of course, there is the renewal fee looming down the road :(

Last edited:
110 to take the test here. But, if you take all expenses: books, hotel, travel. probably spent $600. Oh, and I had to send them $20 after I passed or they wouldn't let me join their evil little club.

In Ga the fee for the test I think was $215?

And then there was either $35 or $45 for the paperwork.

Well in FL, you have to register twice. Once to the board of engineering (about $200) then to NCEES after the board approve (another $200).

Plus I had to transfer my EIT license from AL to FL. That cost $100.

Overall cost, about $500. Thank God I passed!

Well in FL, you have to register twice. Once to the board of engineering (about $200) then to NCEES after the board approve (another $200).
Plus I had to transfer my EIT license from AL to FL. That cost $100.

Overall cost, about $500. Thank God I passed!

Holy crap.....your state may be the winner!

It's been long enough that I have forgotten!!! Hooray!

I don't remember exactly. The company paid for all my application/registration fees. And I paid for all the review books, motel room, and other incidental expenses.

I think it was $100 for the application, $175 to ELSES for the test. Maybe $50 for transcripts and verifications.

Between the review books and motel, etc. I probably dropped about $300 myself.

Warning: States charge more for reciprocity than to apply for the exam. NH charged me $200 for reciprocity, vs. $100 for the test. Mass. is $148 for reciprocity vs. $78 for the test.

Holy crap.....your state may be the winner!
Oh .. it is .. believe me.

Then of course there is the :( if you don't pass. I went through A LOT of grief to sit for the exam this last time. There was NO WAY I was going to give :burgerking: another shot to reject my application :plusone:

Oh well .. now we have PDH's and renewal fees to look forward to ...
16.gif

JR

I'm an electrical in NY and I applied for the very first PE test that I was eligible for. However, I was worried that the state board wouldn't count all my experience and would hold onto my $345 application fee until I had enough experience to take the test. Obviously I didn't want that to happen. So I called the state board and asked if my application fee would be returned if i didn't have enough experience to be accepted... the answer I got was, "Oh, I think that it probably does." That is from the state board! They couldn't give me a more definitive answer than that. Thank goodness that they were at least pleasant people.

For Ohio:

Filing PE Application fee with the state PE board.. $25.00

Registering with ELSES to take the PE Exam... $225.00

Actually passing the PE exam 1st time.....PRICELESS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an electrical in NY and I applied for the very first PE test that I was eligible for. However, I was worried that the state board wouldn't count all my experience and would hold onto my $345 application fee until I had enough experience to take the test. Obviously I didn't want that to happen. So I called the state board and asked if my application fee would be returned if i didn't have enough experience to be accepted... the answer I got was, "Oh, I think that it probably does." That is from the state board! They couldn't give me a more definitive answer than that. Thank goodness that they were at least pleasant people.

I wouldn't count on that. I applied in FL to take the exam 2yrs ago and they took exception to some of my work experience and denied my application to take the PE. They kept the fee, I had to pay it again last year when I reapplied. It makes sense actually, the fee is to pay for their effort in processing the application, whether or not that application is approved.

For Illinois

It was $100 application fee to the state for sitting approval (good for 3 years).

once approved, it was another $233.05 for the test...why 5 cents I'll never figure it out, why not just $233 bump

For Texas:

$250 application fee to the Board

$202 for online registration for test

Study Materials:

$560

Travel Expenses:

$175

Total Cost for PE:

Almost $1200

I wouldn't count on that. I applied in FL to take the exam 2yrs ago and they took exception to some of my work experience and denied my application to take the PE. They kept the fee, I had to pay it again last year when I reapplied. It makes sense actually, the fee is to pay for their effort in processing the application, whether or not that application is approved
I half agree. It is an application fee and therefore should not be returned if you do not meet the criteria. However, I don't think that you should have to pay again when you do finally have enough experience, that's just an extension of your original application. I'm sort of speaking directly to the NY process and indirectly to others. I'm not sure what NY's policy is so I don't want to come across like I'm ranting about the board - overall my experience was pretty good. I think that NY might not make you pay another application fee based on two reasons:

(1) The application fee is high at $345

(2) I believe that you can submit your experience over time and they will keep a file on you; although I'm not sure about this since I didn't take that route.

Also, NY offers little in the way of guidance for what counts for experience and what doesn't. But like I said my earlier post, the person I spoke with at the board was friendly and easy to get hold of which was nice.

$80 for ELSES to tell the state that your education is valid.

$235 to register once ELSES gives the nod.

$75 for the license if you pass.

Employer picking up the tab... :)

Last edited:
Back