Copy of book in a binder allowed for exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We found out it is cheaper and better to print the PDFs and do fastback binding at the local print shop. We were able to bound up to ~200 to 300 sheets per fastback and it cost about 4 bucks per book. 

Binders: You have to buy binders, hole punch, hope the paper doesn't rip during studying / the test, the binders are bulky and nonstackable, and very awkward to flip through the sheets in a large binder. 

Fastback flips like a book and overall just cheaper and easier to use. 
I like your pros.  But the con to me is losing the ability to easily add, delete, shuffle, move, combine, insert, etc. additional pages on the fly.  To me, that function is priceless. 

None of you will be violating copyright laws when you opt to print these documents, right?  
I lost track after I no longer could count with two hands how many copyright infringements I made. 

I did the binder route as well. As others have stated the ability to add pages as needed worked great for me. 

yea..i brought 2 binders literally copy of books but never did once use it lol

Damn trees died for nothing :)

@NJmike PE will be happy to read that.
fire-test2.gif

I am thinking about taking the exam in Illinois
I am taking the exam in Chicago. Do you know what part of Chicago the exams are usually given? I am coming from outside Illinois to take the exam. If anyone has taken it in Chicago before please let me know where you took it. I am trying to find a place on a walking distance to the exam location. Thank you!!

On 6/12/2016 at 11:14 PM, ewibolo said: I am thinking about taking the exam in Illinois
I am taking the exam in Chicago. Do you know what part of Chicago the exams are usually given? I am coming from outside Illinois to take the exam. If anyone has taken it in Chicago before please let me know where you took it. I am trying to find a place on a walking distance to the exam location. Thank you!!
Unless it is next door, I couldn't have imagined walking to the test with two totes strapped to a dolly.

Unless it is next door, I couldn't have imagined walking to the test with two totes strapped to a dolly.
Haha. Well I am not sure if I will be walking - but at least I don't panic if it was far away or/and the uber driver didn't show up.

I used a milk create as a bookcase strapped to one of those foldable metal frames with rollers. The top was useful to tie my comfy cushion and a couple of other things. Once inside, it served as resting place for the CERM since I wasn't using it much. But, if you end up having to walk some distance, a carry-on might work if allowed. Guy next to me taking structural snuck in two carry-ons of stuff somehow and had them under the table even though the proctors had asked to put backpacks and suitcases up front. Carry-ons are surely easier for transport. People I saw with carton boxes had a hard time rolling them on carts if they had more than one. I saw a couple of annoyed ladies picking up, strapping, only to have to do it again. This is in CA not IL but as an idea, it was about 1000ft from the lot to the building.

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back