Construction PM References

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello SPSU,

What is CERM 11?

thanks

I agree with you Dexman about having the whole thing but the NCEES Outline says only Part 6 - Temporary Traffic Control is necessary for the exam. CERM 11 also has a page or 2 on temporary traffic control but I did not find it helpful for the exam. The MUTCD Part 6 was helpful to me during the exam.

Hello SPSU,
What is CERM 11?

thanks
It's one of the following, that's for sure:

CERM Center for Environmental Resource ManagementCERM Magnetic Resonance Center (Florence, Italy)

CERM Center for Education and Research on Macromolecules (Liège, Belgium)

CERM Corporate Environmental Risk Management (Atlanta, GA)

CERM Church Education Resource Ministries

CERM Civil Engineering Reference Manual

CERM Center for Environmental Remediation and Monitoring (US DOE)

CERM Corps of Engineers Directorate of Resource Management

Construction depth exam - Second edition by Ruwan.

Does any one has the second edition and if so how is it?

Hopefully its better than the 1st Edition. It needed some improvement to be really useful for the exam. It is a good reference to have but don't count on it alone to pull you though. I believe it was helpful on 3-4 problems for me on the afternoon portion.

The CERM is the way to go; don't leave home without it!

Lindeberg is a genius, and probably as wealthy as an oil sheik by now.

Lindeberg is a genius, and probably as wealthy as an oil sheik by now.
Has anyone ever seen him in the live? Maybe he's not even a real person...

Anyone care to do the math? At over $100 a pop, how many Engineers own one (or more!) of his books? I wonder how many active writers he employs.

Your post said Ruwan prob helped with 3-4 in the PM..

Hell 3-4 in the PM is a good amount.. that would def. help push you over the hump!

Since there is no Table of Contents, I have tabbed the sections so I can find them quickly..

Did you have/use the Masonry Bracing or ASCE temp. book during the PM?

I have seen sample questions that are direct look-ups.. and the books really aren't that much to it.. i'm also tabbing those..

I am just suprised the PM has that many reference type direct lookups from tables/manuals, etc...

Thanks for the posts to help pull us all through it!

Mike

The references for construction are hard to manage, absolutly take all the free stuff, MUTCD, OSHA, ASCE 37-02 is cheap and so is bracing, I got a rigging handbook for $15. The others are a crap shoot. Do you need to spend $150 -$200 to get one question correct, that is what its all about. I picked up a couple of construction books and some of the planning books referenced in NCEES problems (solutions sections) and got them pretty cheap, I am hoping that will be enough.
I go a couple of the more expensive references yesterday (ACI 318 )in the mail and I think they are worthless for the test, the way they are organized and indexed that unless you use them at work you will never find anything in time for the test.

All the references are worthless unless you know them well enough to find and answere a specific question.
Env Engr,

How is the OSHA material free? I went to the OSHA website and they listed the 29 CFR part 1926 table of contents. I was not able to open any .PDF or files from this part 1926.

Thanks

Env Engr,
How is the OSHA material free? I went to the OSHA website and they listed the 29 CFR part 1926 table of contents. I was not able to open any .PDF or files from this part 1926.

Thanks
You should've searched these forums using the keyword "OSHA". You'd have found the thread OSHA CFR 29 PART 1926 US Federal Version, PDF Anyone, which has, as it's last post, a link to here, which further links to here which hosts the PDF.

Or something like that... :)

The crane book has a section on rigging.. I saw a sample question in the Lindeburg books asking capacity of a cable used as a 'basket', etc... This book has tables/ charts, etc.. Hopefully it will be adequate.. I have spent enough on books!
Would you recommend the ACI, ASCE or Masonry bracing book? The review class i'm in said to buy them for some 'easy' look up points.. ? ?

Any feedback..
Is Lindeburg good enough? or I still need to look for crane book?

I have the rigging handbook and it may not be much help unless they ask you to look up some rope. My personal opinion is just to let the cranes go, I have searched and found a couple of references but nothing very good. I have a construction book with some crane stuff, stuff off the internet and some misc papers but have not found anything very good. I dont recall a crane question on the april exam.

Anyone out there know about cranes?? I ran across and interesting question where you have to calculate the size of boards that you put under the outriggers given the bearing strength of the soil. There is some question as to if you use the weight of the machine plus the load capacity divided by the bearing strenght ... or use 1/2 the load. can a crane tip on one outrigger (seems unlikely).

I have the rigging handbook and it may not be much help unless they ask you to look up some rope. My personal opinion is just to let the cranes go, I have searched and found a couple of references but nothing very good. I have a construction book with some crane stuff, stuff off the internet and some misc papers but have not found anything very good. I dont recall a crane question on the april exam.
Anyone out there know about cranes?? I ran across and interesting question where you have to calculate the size of boards that you put under the outriggers given the bearing strength of the soil. There is some question as to if you use the weight of the machine plus the load capacity divided by the bearing strenght ... or use 1/2 the load. can a crane tip on one outrigger (seems unlikely).

I strongle encourage you not to throw cranes into the trash. There will be crane questions on the exam and they are qucik afternoon gimme points. I would familiarize myself with all of the parts of a crane, OHSA requirements, and basic lift planning. Even if they do ask something weird, such as what are the procedures for using a man basket, it's in the OHSA manual which makes it a gimme question.

I strongle encourage you not to throw cranes into the trash. There will be crane questions on the exam and they are qucik afternoon gimme points. I would familiarize myself with all of the parts of a crane, OHSA requirements, and basic lift planning. Even if they do ask something weird, such as what are the procedures for using a man basket, it's in the OHSA manual which makes it a gimme question.

what type of question will appear? type of crane equipment used? method? calculation? weight?

Latest posts

Back