Concrete reference book

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windgate

Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a good concrete reference book? Ideally it would be a practical (not allot of theory) book that incorporates most of the applicable data from the ACI references. Some straight forward practice problems would also be helpful.

Trying not to buy a bunch of ACI books other than 318 and SP-4

I am not sure you need a concrete references, you do need 347-04 and 347-2A-05. In 318 you only need the construction loads, they have changed from other references. If you can get 318 cheap it might be good to have but the 347s are pretty cheap. If you do a google search for 347 you will find so sites that give some sample problems in forces on forms. 347-2A-05 is shoring and reshoring, only references I know covering this topic.

SP-4 is just and expensice way to get 347-04, , it not a required reference from NCEES. Maybe some who had SP-4 could discuss more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not sure you need a concrete references, you do need 347-04 and 347-2A-05. In 318 you only need the construction loads, they have changed from other references. If you can get 318 cheap it might be good to have but the 347s are pretty cheap. If you do a google search for 347 you will find so sites that give some sample problems in forces on forms. 347-2A-05 is shoring and reshoring, only references I know covering this topic.
SP-4 is just and expensice way to get 347-04, , it not a required reference from NCEES. Maybe some who had SP-4 could discuss more.
SP-4 is just like a text book for concrete formwork sans the practice problems. It was obviously compiled by ACI but does a very good and thorough job in presenting formwork concepts in detail. It covers everything from basic wall forms to reshoring design. Really it just puts ACI codes into construction applications. If you want to study up on formwork and other issues related to concrete construction I would think that would be the best resource (especially as recommended by NCEES). I haven't taken the PE exam yet myself but working in the concrete construction industry SP-4 gives you a good intro.

Back