Concrete placement in Southwestern US

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlewheels4

Reaction score
I am working on a conceptual high voltage transmission line project in the southwest. I would like to know if anyone has any input on how we could pour concrete large distances from batch plants in the arid climate. I am unfamiliar with construction practices in this region. Thanks for your help.

Two questions: How far? and How much concrete?

Here in Colorado, most highway projects limit the amount of time from batch to placement at under 2 hours, with a 60-90 minute limit on the ability to add water after being batched. I know there are admixtures out there that extend this time, but I don't have much experience with them.

Yeah it really depends on distance and the size and type of pour (single, multiple,etc). Sometimes constructing a temporary on site batch plant is more economical than hauling.

Another thing to consider with pouring concrete in the southwest is your temperatures. If it gets too hot, then you "bake" the concrete and it becomes brittle. And if it gets too cold (the desert areas can get damn cold at night in the winters), it could freeze and prevent the cement from hydrating properly, also causing it to become brittle.

How much concrete are you talking about. If it's alot, a small batch plant in close prox. to the project maybe the best solution

Back