Computer Based Testing: Using a white board and sharpy?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john103

Reaction score
Anyone angry about the fact that we will not be able to use pencil and paper to work out equations...? Only get to use a small white board and sharpy for the computer based testing. I took several certification exams at the same testing center which is in Metairie, the white board was okay b/c I only had to work out a few problems by hand.. However, I can't imagine how using it for the EIT/exam ! anyone tried using a sharpy to solve equations? it will suck. Being left handed, it will smear very easy, and also what about going back to your work later on, it will be erased ! Also, the sharpy will likely be out of ink.

Also, the reference manual will electronic too, no hard copy at your table. I wonder if they wil be smart and allow for the option for the manual to be on the same screen as the actual question so you can see them both at the same time? Probably not I bet if you click on one, the other will most definitely minimize ! will force you to go back and forth. Only good thing if it is electronic, I wonder if you can do a "word search" ??

Maybe I'm old school, but I hate viewing electronic documents, I really need a hard copy in front of me so I can see multiple pages at one time and be able to flip fast.

Anyone else mad about the new format?

thanks

Anyone angry about the fact that we will not be able to use pencil and paper to work out equations...? Only get to use a small white board and sharpy for the computer based testing. I took several certification exams at the same testing center which is in Metairie, the white board was okay b/c I only had to work out a few problems by hand.. However, I can't imagine how using it for the EIT/exam ! anyone tried using a sharpy to solve equations? it will suck. Being left handed, it will smear very easy, and also what about going back to your work later on, it will be erased ! Also, the sharpy will likely be out of ink.
Also, the reference manual will electronic too, no hard copy at your table. I wonder if they wil be smart and allow for the option for the manual to be on the same screen as the actual question so you can see them both at the same time? Probably not I bet if you click on one, the other will most definitely minimize ! will force you to go back and forth. Only good thing if it is electronic, I wonder if you can do a "word search" ??

Maybe I'm old school, but I hate viewing electronic documents, I really need a hard copy in front of me so I can see multiple pages at one time and be able to flip fast.

Anyone else mad about the new format?

thanks
There is a huge FAQ section on cbt.ncees.org that answers a lot of your questions. Here's one of NCEES' comments about the scratch work notebook - it' doesn't sound like what you describe:

"We’ll be putting out more information about the laminated notebooks as we get closer to implementation of CBT in 2014. The dimensions are 8½” x 14½”. It is spiral bound at the top (portrait orientation) so that you can flip between pages. It is made up of five laminated sheets. The cover lists procedures for the testing center, but the remaining nine pages (front and back) are lined like graph paper. There should be ample room for most examinees to do scratch work for each section without having to erase. The marker is fine-tipped and the size and weight of a standard ink pen."

I don't like this at all. Hopefully they don't start this with the PE any time soon.

thanks for the link to those comments... I'm one who likes to write the page # or a note next to a problem I can't solve on the first pass (from the handbook), so when I come back to it on second pass I dont have to start from scratch. Can immediately pick up where I left off. Only 9 laminated pages is not enough space to track 115 problems. The computer program allows you to "mark" a problem so you can skip it and come back to it later, but you can't write notes. At 115 questions, let's say only 1/2 requires a calculation, only 9 pages available, that's 6 or 7 problems on 1 page, using a sharpie... = pain in the butttttt. - And will probably have to erase some problems to make room for others. There will be no double checking your work at the end b/c it will all be erased. Can you imagine doing a truss problem and converting units using this? will take entire page. I know, I just have to get over it ! It's still a bad idea. I've taken many exams for work at this same testing center, 99% chance that your sharpie will run out of ink, and have to wait for the 1 person watching over the 15-20 computer terminals to give you another one, which will be just as bad. I'm serious. From experience. ha

^^^I feel your pain, as I am left-handed as well.

It just seems that this really could be a legitimate reason for some sort of legal intervention. Most of the time, I just sigh and smear everything when I'm using a whiteboard...at least I'm not standing in front of what I'm writing. This could potentially cause others to have an unfair advantage...

can you imagine tryign to take the PE with that! I know it is progress and other occupations have online licensure testing...but i really hope a lot of changes are made before they allow the PE to go CBT.

I will pray to God that I will passed the PE exam this month so I don't have to deal with computer based exam. Somehow, I have this mental block taking test on computer....i am old school even though I am relatively young!

Back