Computer Based PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not opposed to the reschedule fee, if they were simply a no show, someone else could have used that time slot.  

Not sure if NCEES really wants to motivate them to take their exam when they've been receiving quite a bit of money from it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Both my brothers are FNPs , their exam told them immediately what their result was. We should be at that point with the PE. Maybe not the SE, as i understand their are "essay" questions, but for our multiple choice PE exam there is just so much benefit to CBT and faster results. Primarily however, CBT would allow me to take the exam 20 minutes from home and not have to travel 6 hours to the testing area. 2 days at hotel and expenses honestly hurts. It is what it is. If changed to CBT, i dont see why they couldnt just provide every reference in PDF and just put it in their fees. I would much prefer that than carrying all my references with me. And honestly i dont see how using control F is any easier than using the index to your reference or previously have tabbed the point of reference. I brought in 15 references about and used about 6. Im 50/50 about passing it but i felt my weakness had nothing to do with references. I wish for CBT would come ASAP. I plan to take the SE as well so i dont see that one changing just yet. Lol. 

Both my brothers are FNPs , their exam told them immediately what their result was. We should be at that point with the PE. Maybe not the SE, as i understand their are "essay" questions, but for our multiple choice PE exam there is just so much benefit to CBT and faster results. Primarily however, CBT would allow me to take the exam 20 minutes from home and not have to travel 6 hours to the testing area. 2 days at hotel and expenses honestly hurts. It is what it is. If changed to CBT, i dont see why they couldnt just provide every reference in PDF and just put it in their fees. I would much prefer that than carrying all my references with me. And honestly i dont see how using control F is any easier than using the index to your reference or previously have tabbed the point of reference. I brought in 15 references about and used about 6. Im 50/50 about passing it but i felt my weakness had nothing to do with references. I wish for CBT would come ASAP. I plan to take the SE as well so i dont see that one changing just yet. Lol. 
Not me.  To me there is no substitute to having a physical book with your own flags, highlights, and notes.  The same books you have been using intimately while studying for months. 

But I don't think the CBT PE would provide you with digital copies of the full references like the HCM, MUTCD, GDHS, etc.  I think it will be one collective 'PE Reference Handbook' of formulas and excerpts.  Just like the FE Reference Handbook and PS Reference Handbook and FS Reference Handbook are now. 

its the new generation, I cant get them to print anything out, they just want me to come review their plans on their screen, next time one of them asks me to I am gonna take a red sharpie and mark up there monitor

CBT is a huge pita.  I did it for my Patent Agent license.  Can't imagine having an exam like that for the PE.

In the latest edition of the ncees newsletter, the PS exam is going CBT Oct 3!!  They also said the PE exams will go CBT on their own timeframe..not a complete crossover at one time.  From their calendar items it looks like Chemical might be one of the first to switch.  they are having a meeting about the supplied reference next month

Last edited by a moderator:
So does it sound like they might have to supply and maintain a reference for each exam discipline?  I suppose that effort would be somewhat easier if it were provided in digital form (i.e. PDF, etc.).

The FE was so easy as a CBT. A lot of the questions you could word search in the PDF and have the answer in 15 seconds. Obviously the PE would be a little tougher but I don't think it would be too bad. There would be no more screwing up the scantron.  We have to save trees right? Though it will put the proctors out of a job.

Back in my day, I didn't have a searchable PDF during the EIT exam. It was an 8 hour exam with 180 questions. I had to manually look for information in the supplied documentation. Therefore, I had to know that NCEES reference manual like the back of my hand. I also had to wait 8 - 10 weeks for my results.

:eek:ld-025:

Back in my day, I didn't have a searchable PDF during the EIT exam. It was an 8 hour exam with 180 questions. I had to manually look for information in the supplied documentation. Therefore, I had to know that NCEES reference manual like the back of my hand. I also had to wait 8 - 10 weeks for my results.

:eek:ld-025:
cf1185139bd0261493e38dc22f5b1442cec27978ab6c28e8c7569cdbb85c7af8.jpg

If you had to choose between the Computer PE or the "really old school PE" where you were given 8 problems in the AM & PM and you had to pick 4 in each session, all work was done by hand "the long way" on green paper, no scantrons, and you could receive partial credit??

Former bosses of mine that took it told me you were basically at the mercy of which books you brought to the exam since there were so few questions..

I think I would vote for the current multiple choice format to be honest..

If you had to choose between the Computer PE or the "really old school PE" where you were given 8 problems in the AM & PM and you had to pick 4 in each session, all work was done by hand "the long way" on green paper, no scantrons, and you could receive partial credit??Former bosses of mine that took it told me you were basically at the mercy of which books you brought to the exam since there were so few questions..

I think I would vote for the current multiple choice format to be honest..
CBT all day.

I vote for CBT as well, but i dont want to be one of the first to take it so im gonna work hard to pass it in October.  :D   :reading:

Latest posts

Back