Complex Imaginary videos

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Josh,

I appreciate the detailed reply. thanks. Didnt mean it as any attack or to be taken so personally.

I was just trying to get my study and everything sorted early - not last minute preparation in September and October. But it seems that others seem to feel this is the time they really get started. I am just about at the end of my studying for the exam leaving a few weeks for review of the material again. That is why I was asking in july if there would be discounts and an early chance to help build a good fan base to get more exposure and recommendations and therefore sales as these months came up. I understand it as a different business decision. I just needed my study material earlier and then your site removed the books from being offered for a while when i actually did go to buy them.

Anyway, that is no big deal and I am not trying to cause problems. It will all just hopefully serve you well for the future april/october exams sessions as a good recommendation base builds.

And hopefully us October exam takers wont need to think about that.

I do wish you all the best with it and it really is something that is absolutely needed for the Power PE exam preparation.

Apologies again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh,
I appreciate the detailed reply. thanks. Didnt mean it as any attack or to be taken so personally.

I was just trying to get my study and everything sorted early - not last minute preparation in September and October. But it seems that others seem to feel this is the time they really get started. I am just about at the end of my studying for the exam leaving a few weeks for review of the material again. That is why I was asking in july if there would be discounts and an early chance to help build a good fan base to get more exposure and recommendations as these months came up. I just needed my study material earlier and then your site removed the books from being offered for a while when i actually did go to buy them.

Anyway, that is no big deal and I am not trying to cause problems. It will all just hopefully serve you well for the future april/october exams sessions as a good recommendation base builds.

And hopefully us October exam takers wont need to think about that.

I do wish you all the best with it and it really is something that is absolutely needed for the Power PE exam preparation.

Apologies again.
No apologies necessary. I know it's nothing personal, and I didn't consider it an attack at all. You had your concerns, and we talked about it. That's exactly what these forums are for. I call this a conversation: no animosity at all. I appreciate the interaction - seriously, thanks. I've read your other posts and I consider you a good and valuable member of this board; I'd hope that if you had a concern we could talk about it ... and we did. And just like you said: "no big deal".

And like I've said: knock 'em dead in October!

Josh

Complex Imaginary

Hi Josh

What's the difference between the four books you currently have listed on your web site? Are three and four an update for one and two?

QUOTE (xd-data-ii @ Sep 18 2011, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why didnt you offer this or respond to the request of this months ago when it was first brought up and you first mentioned the sample exams you offered?Its too late now to be offering it - for those originally interested.

There was no backup or opinions on it at the time (July) - would have been good to get people buying it then by offering a much better discount then and at this stage had a good lot of testimonials from people who bought them and therefore selling more through recommendations for the Oct 2011 exam. The recommendation above is the only one ive seen.

As I saw it then they were far too expensive - $50 each + plus tax + plus shipping!! Then the website changed to them not being available at all for a while - which made me think that they were not even completed or a proper offering yet. Then i had to go elsewhere for study material.

Im just saying is all. Great videos though.

Good luck though with the future exam cycles.

May order two books though - anyone recommend any particular two of the four?
Okay, I respect your concerns, so I will do my best to provide honest answers to your questions/objections:

1. Why didn't we lower the price when one, single person had said that he/she didn't like it? Because - honestly - I have to try to make a living. I left my job and incurred huge financial risk to create and provide this material to the engineering community. I need to be able to pay bills ... seriously. I believe we've been asking a fair price for the quality of product we provide. After multiple concerns were voiced about the price we lowered it immediately to accommodate the market. Further, I don't believe it's too late to be offering the promotion we've offered. Neither do the people who've ordered our tests under this promotion. You are, by all means, entitled to your opinion though, and if it is too late for you, then it is too late - I completely respect that. I hope the study material you have purchased will help you come test time. I wish you the best and hope you pass.

2. It might have been good to offer an original, discount promotion. Yes, it might have been good. We have to make business decisions based on the information we have available at the time, and we've done our best to give the community the best study material at the best possible prices. We're are doing our best to respond to the market, and proper responses require data collection and time. A criticism of our marketing strategy, though, has no reflection on the quality of material we provide.

3. The books are far too expensive. If you haven't seen the quality, I don't understand how you can make an informed assertion about their value. But, you could be right, it may be too expensive. I don't believe it is. Insinuating that somehow you've been mistreated by a company that you've literally had no interaction with is hard for me to address. I can't give quality customer service to someone who isn't a customer. But, once again, you are completely entitled to the expression of your opinion. In the end, I'm glad to hear that you were able to find study material for the exam that met your price-point.

4. I genuinely appreciate the compliment about our videos. We felt it would be worth while to provide totally free study topics to the EE community. We've taken hours and hours to research and create the videos, trying to give something of genuine value for free. We're continuing to work on topic requests we've received from those studying for the PE. More are on the way. We've been so thankful hearing that the videos are helping people.

In the end, all I can say is that we are trying to provide great study material for those studying for the PE. We are not in business to rip anyone off. We are obsessed with treating our customers fairly. We've actually had the opportunity to demonstrate this obsession with fairness to those who have purchased our material. But good customer service is only apparent to ... well, our customers. We're not perfect, but we are certainly fair. And as I've now said multiple times: I'm glad to hear you got study material that you like and I hope you do great on the PE. I'm sure you'll knock 'em dead come exam time.

All the best.

Josh

Complex Imaginary
Josh: Do you have any coupons for the April 2013 exam? My e-mail is [email protected]. Shoot me a code and I'll buy the 4 book set tomorrow. Thanks and good luck!

The CI Videos were great! Short but very informative! After reviewing the videos, I did a quick scan of the NCEES practice problems and was able to identify and solve several problems with ease.

Josh,

I am taking the PE Power Exam in April 2014, and I would like to buy the 4 book set as soon as possible. Is there any coupon code that I can use? Thanks for your help. Email me at [email protected]

I just bought the four volume set. Couldn't find a coupon code.

I recommend the tests. I worked two of them on Saturday. The problems are much like the ncees which I have worked already.

The NEC questions seem to be industry relevant. I am tabbing and highlighting my code book more and more as I go through the exams.

I think I will work textbook problems on weeknights and exam style problems on Saturdays.

I am just finishing my second pass of the 4 volumes of CI. I think they are much easier than the NCEES Sample Problems. But I've only done the sample exam once. Maybe I will feel more confident the second time around, just as I have been feeling very confident on the second pass of CI.

I watched all the videos and thought they were educational and helpful. I'm going to watch them all again and maybe digest some more info from them.

The C&I test books along with the NEC drill book were an important part of me preparing for and passing the April 2014 PE. I worked about 30% of the NEC drill problems and don't think I missed any of those test problems. The C&I practice test problems are somewhat easier than the NCEES but, IMHO, were comparable to actual PE problems. Their YouTube videos were also very helpful.

Just did my first sample morning exam in CI. Finished in 3 hours 40 minutes. Got 34/40 just using Camara book. I missed 4 easy ones too.

I hope they are similar in difficulty to the P.E.

I made educated guesses on a good number of the questions just by eliminating answers.

I watched CI's youtube videos a long time ago. They are helpful.

Just did my first sample morning exam in CI. Finished in 3 hours 40 minutes. Got 34/40 just using Camara book. I missed 4 easy ones too.

I hope they are similar in difficulty to the P.E.

I made educated guesses on a good number of the questions just by eliminating answers.

I watched CI's youtube videos a long time ago. They are helpful.

I think that the CI tests are definitely a bit easier. Have you done hte NCEES practice? I felt that it was quite a bit harder.

The CI books are definitely easier, however, they cover the topics you will find on the test. As you go through the sample exam, tab the daylights out of your resources. Then on test day, you will appreciate the practice exams that much more. Good luck!

I think that the CI tests are definitely a bit easier. Have you done hte NCEES practice? I felt that it was quite a bit harder.

I did the NCEES Morning Session earlier this week. Finished with in 3 hours and got 80% right. I did think it was more difficult than the CI exams.

Are the PE afternoon questions generally more difficult than the morning questions?

I did the NCEES Morning Session earlier this week. Finished with in 3 hours and got 80% right. I did think it was more difficult than the CI exams.

Are the PE afternoon questions generally more difficult than the morning questions?

Some people have posted on here saying one half is more difficult than the other. Some have said morning was harder, some said afternoon was harder. The electrical doesn't have a "Breadth and Depth" morning and afternoon sections like some of the other disciplines. Either way, it sounds like one half will be more challenging than the other.

I personally felt the afternoon section of the NCEES practice exam was harder than the morning section. Who knows what the actual test will be like in April.

I doubt there are any definitive metrics on this. What one person could consider difficult, another might have very little trouble on and vice versa. I'd say it really depends on one's level of preparation overall. If one doesn't study all areas, and one of those topics pop up in either the morning or afternoon, that could then suggest a higher level of difficulty for that particular test-taker.

I suppose one could argue whether the morning or afternoon section has more/less theory-based problems versus the core concept number-crunching type.

Seems to me that the October exam was revamped from past tests. Just my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back