Complex Imaginary Test 2 Question 7

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MB07

Reaction score
This is obviously a simple problem and I'm missing something very basic;

a 3ph generator on a Y system. Full load output is 325A, and generator's nameplate specifies phase voltage of 2.4kV. They ask for power output rating.

Solution says sqrt3 * 2.4kV * 325 = 1350MVA

Why is the phase voltage used here? I thought this would be the solution if LINE voltage was given as 2.4kV. If 2.4kV actually was the line voltage given, would the solution be simply Vline*325?

Industry practice is to specify 3-phase power and Line voltage. CI calls Line voltage as phase voltage, which actually means phase to phase voltage. Hope we do not see such silly tricks in exams.

This is obviously a simple problem and I'm missing something very basic;

a 3ph generator on a Y system. Full load output is 325A, and generator's nameplate specifies phase voltage of 2.4kV. They ask for power output rating.

Solution says sqrt3 * 2.4kV * 325 = 1350MVA

Why is the phase voltage used here? I thought this would be the solution if LINE voltage was given as 2.4kV. If 2.4kV actually was the line voltage given, would the solution be simply Vline*325?
yea...complex imaginary have issues specifying the voltages....for me if it specify phase voltage is from phase to ground...not line to line. To make complex imaginary procedure correct...it should say Line to Line voltage.

Otherwise correct solution will be

sqrt3 *sqrt3 * 2.4kV * 325 = 2.34MVA

Or it can be the error that is not a Y system....it could be a DELTA system in the DELTA system phase voltage = line to line voltage

Last edited by a moderator:
Back