Column Stability

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
In SEAOC book V.3 page 141

To calculate the stability index "epsi sub i" they divided by 2 .

I really do not know what the 2 used for? I do not think the reason that there are 2 frames in the NS direction since in AISC 341 page 4-45, there are 2 frames in the problem but they did not divide by 2.

Any explanation?

Thanks

Mook,

in the SEAOC book - I could be wrong, but to me it looks as if it is only a quirk of the way the authors presented the data. The load values they give are for the full 29,000 sf of the bay. But only 1/2 is tributary to the frame in question. Not the way I would entered the data. I would have adjusted the trib area first.

I did not cross check the AISC book..

Thanks Hormis

I thought the same thing but if you check the AISC, there is a similar example but they did not divide by 2. That's why I am confused.

Mook,
in the SEAOC book - I could be wrong, but to me it looks as if it is only a quirk of the way the authors presented the data. The load values they give are for the full 29,000 sf of the bay. But only 1/2 is tributary to the frame in question. Not the way I would entered the data. I would have adjusted the trib area first.

I did not cross check the AISC book..

Back