Colorado

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this for real? DORA really only takes a day or two to release license numbers? That doesn't seem like them....

I was thinking it would be at least 1-2 months AFTER 3-4 nagging phone calls and emails from me haha

Right. I'd be VERY surprised to see them do anything that quickly.
See the “Colorado” topic under the “October 2017” forum: 

Also - does anyone know if there is an another fee we have to pay to be licensed in CO? Or is the next fee just due at the time of our first renewal?

Also - does anyone know if there is an another fee we have to pay to be licensed in CO? Or is the next fee just due at the time of our first renewal?
Well there was a fee you had to pay to apply and get approved to take the exam. I don't think there are any more fees until you renew. 

Still nothing in Colorado...anyone talked to DORA? Seems odd that in the past people would have gotten license numbers so quickly but now we are a week out from results and still nothing.

Jumped the gun. Just got my results!
Quick question about Colorado PE requirements. Does CO require 4 or 8 years of experience? Their website states:

"Licensed in good standing in another jurisdiction. Qualifications must be substantially equivalent to those currently required of applicants..."

Okay, that makes sense. So what are the qualifications currently required of applicants? In the next section, it states:

"Graduate from a Board-approved engineering curriculum of 4 years (ABET) or more AND have 8 years of progressive engineering experience of which education is a part..."

This statement makes me think Colorado licensure requires 8 years of working experience under a PE instead of the typical 4 (for which my state is not an exception). The statement at the end makes it seem like maybe the 4 year engineering degree counts toward the 8, but it isn't clear to me.

Do you have any insight on this?

Oh, and congratulations on passing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Quick question about Colorado PE requirements. Does CO require 4 or 8 years of experience? Their website states:

"Licensed in good standing in another jurisdiction. Qualifications must be substantially equivalent to those currently required of applicants..."

Okay, that makes sense. So what are the qualifications currently required of applicants? In the next section, it states:

"Graduate from a Board-approved engineering curriculum of 4 years (ABET) or more AND have 8 years of progressive engineering experience of which education is a part..."

This statement makes me think Colorado licensure requires 8 years of working experience under a PE instead of the typical 4 (for which my state is not an exception). The statement at the end makes it seem like maybe the 4 year engineering degree counts toward the 8, but it isn't clear to me.

"...of which education is a part".

This tells me it's 4 years of school (5 with masters) + 4 (3 with masters) years of experience.

It's four years under a PE. Interesting that someone brought this up...

I took 4.5 years (9 semesters) to graduate and so, based on how that is worded, I determined that I only needed 3.5 years of work experience. I began college in August 2009 and graduated in December of 2013, and began a full time position Jan 1 2014. They say that you must have the full 8 years in order to apply, and applications are due December 1 for the April exams (not sure if this is the case in other states?) . I determined that I could apply once I had worked through August of 2017 (thus making the deadline for the April '18 exam). No credit/deductions are given for summer classes, or internships/jobs held while you're a full time student, etc.

BUT - there is an example on the experience verification form that says you should NOT apply if you have, say, only 3 years 10 months experience. (Note that this is not stated in the instructions above). Before applying, I even emailed the board asking if I should even bother applying this go around because I did not have the full four years (this was was around September '17). They literally could not give me a straight answer. The email was passed to multiple people, and at the end of the day, the best answer I got was "you should apply when you feel you are fully qualified". Like what in the actual f*** haha. So I applied, and of course got denied on the basis that I was a few months short on experience. I protested, and thankfully, when they let me re-apply, it was January of this year and I had that full four years of experience. In the long run, it was worth pushing back and being persistent, bc I passed the exam and now am just waiting for a license number. (I was debating going to a different state to take the exam where I wouldn't have to get experience verified until after the test.)

Anyways - I wrote this all out bc I am interested in hearing if anyone else had this same issue. Or am I truly just reading this wrong. To me, "Graduate from a Board-approved engineering curriculum of 4 years (ABET) or more AND have 8 years of progressive engineering experience of which education is a part" does not say anything about # of years working under a PE. I work for a contractor so I generally pride myself on being able to read a contract...

Still nothing in Colorado...anyone talked to DORA? Seems odd that in the past people would have gotten license numbers so quickly but now we are a week out from results and still nothing.
I emailed them - they said that their "standard response" is 2-3 weeks. So one week down...

An undergrad engineering degree counts for 4 of the 8 years. So then you just need 4 years of engineering work experience.

It's four years under a PE. Interesting that someone brought this up...

I took 4.5 years (9 semesters) to graduate and so, based on how that is worded, I determined that I only needed 3.5 years of work experience. I began college in August 2009 and graduated in December of 2013, and began a full time position Jan 1 2014. They say that you must have the full 8 years in order to apply, and applications are due December 1 for the April exams (not sure if this is the case in other states?) . I determined that I could apply once I had worked through August of 2017 (thus making the deadline for the April '18 exam). No credit/deductions are given for summer classes, or internships/jobs held while you're a full time student, etc.

BUT - there is an example on the experience verification form that says you should NOT apply if you have, say, only 3 years 10 months experience. (Note that this is not stated in the instructions above). Before applying, I even emailed the board asking if I should even bother applying this go around because I did not have the full four years (this was was around September '17). They literally could not give me a straight answer. The email was passed to multiple people, and at the end of the day, the best answer I got was "you should apply when you feel you are fully qualified". Like what in the actual f*** haha. So I applied, and of course got denied on the basis that I was a few months short on experience. I protested, and thankfully, when they let me re-apply, it was January of this year and I had that full four years of experience. In the long run, it was worth pushing back and being persistent, bc I passed the exam and now am just waiting for a license number. (I was debating going to a different state to take the exam where I wouldn't have to get experience verified until after the test.)

Anyways - I wrote this all out bc I am interested in hearing if anyone else had this same issue. Or am I truly just reading this wrong. To me, "Graduate from a Board-approved engineering curriculum of 4 years (ABET) or more AND have 8 years of progressive engineering experience of which education is a part" does not say anything about # of years working under a PE. I work for a contractor so I generally pride myself on being able to read a contract...
Thanks for the clarification! The wording is very poor, in my opinion, and your story confirms it, especially when you have the argument of it taking more than 4 years to graduate. They should just say what everyone else says: "4 years if you have an bachelors; 3 years if you have a masters".

Your story doesn't surprise me considering the mess I went through with my own state's board. Although, when faced with something like that, my state's board tends to go with, "Whichever answer is the one you don't want is the correct one."

An undergrad engineering degree counts for 4 of the 8 years. So then you just need 4 years of engineering work experience.
I appreciate the clarification!

I had emailed them. This is what I got back yesterday 

image.png

Now I'm also stuck waiting to hear back on a promotion. Interviewed last week for a supervisory position. I feel like I am in a state of endless waiting for things out of my hands.

I downloaded the licensee list from DORA. Based on when licenses were issued in the past, they are taking quite a bit longer this time around for some reason. Usually in the 1-5 days range after results are released. We are at 13 days now. 

Now I'm also stuck waiting to hear back on a promotion. Interviewed last week for a supervisory position. I feel like I am in a state of endless waiting for things out of my hands.
Is being a currently licensed PE a hard requirement for the job? I would think most hiring managers at engineering firms would understand that the obtaining the PE is just a formality at this point that will be done within a month.

Is being a currently licensed PE a hard requirement for the job? I would think most hiring managers at engineering firms would understand that the obtaining the PE is just a formality at this point that will be done within a month.
The two are totally unrelated. The PE is not required for the promotion. Just another thing I am stuck waiting on.

I recently passed the civil PE in Colorado and also haven't seen any updates from DORA. My buddy from Texas got his score. Does anyone know if Colorado provides your score?

DORA hasn't sent out emails yet, but as of 8:15 this morning (6/13/18) they posted PE numbers in your account information. You can also see your info in License Lookup on the DORA website.

Back