College Town Suggestions?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALBin517

Reaction score
Please complete the following at least once:

“If you have one night to spend in <COLLEGE TOWN THAT YOU LIKE> then you should <BLANK> at <BLANK>.”

I would be especially interested to hear about the pubs and restaurants of Lincoln, Nebraska. We’re going there for a football game this fall.

If you have one night to spend in Houghton, MI (Michigan Tech) then you should get a Pizza and a Fishbowl at the Ambassador.

If you have one night to spend in Urbana, IL (uof I) then you should experience a food coma by starting at one of end of green street and working your way down by getting a gyros at Zorbas, PIzza at Papa dels, a quick tangent to Labambas for burritto as big as your head, with stops at Murphy's Pub and Legends for drinks.

If you spend one night in Westwood (UCLA), you must get an ice cream cookie sandwich at Diddy Reese. SPRING BREAK! WHOOO!!!

If you have one night to spend in Madison, WI (Univ. of Wisc.) then you should grab food and drinks at State Street Brats.

If you have one night to spend in Terre Haute, IN (Rose-Hulman, ISU), you should pass on the opportunity. If you are stuck there, you should have some Leprechaun Wings or a Pub Burger at Sonka Irish Pub.

If you have one night to spend in East Lansing, MI (Michigan State), you should witness a couch burning. (sorry, couldn't resist)

If you have one night to spend in Terre Haute, IN (Rose-Hulman, ISU), you should pass on the opportunity. If you are stuck there, you should have some Leprechaun Wings or a Pub Burger at Sonka Irish Pub.
I wanted to go to Rose Hulman, but couldn't afford it.

If you have one night to spend in Madison, WI (Univ. of Wisc.) then you should grab food and drinks at State Street Brats.
Really just spend a nice evening walking State St and I'd definitely hit State Street Brats or Capital Tap Haus...either way it's a lot of fun! Get a Spotted Cow beer while you're there, they are awesome! I didn't goto school there, but we do some training at UW and Powerline Systems (PLS-Cadd) is from there and they have the users group there every other year

Drove through boulder yesterday it looked pretty cool

That's kind of funny, Boulder is one of the most extreme liberal left-leaning cities in the country.

I had dinner there with a friend of a friend and it turns out this guy was a pot farmer. :true:

I wanted to go to Rose Hulman, but couldn't afford it.
It has a good reputation, but having gone there, I wouldn't recommend it to people. I don't think the education/reputation justifies the expense...especially since it costs roughly 50% more now than it did when I was there (98-02).

Drove through boulder yesterday it looked pretty cool

That's kind of funny, Boulder is one of the most extreme liberal left-leaning cities in the country.

I had dinner there with a friend of a friend and it turns out this guy was a pot farmer. :true:
it also has the highest rate of concealed carry permits. go figure.

If I was in College Station, Texas (Texas A&M), I would go to the Dixie Chicken and have a beer and a hamburger.

If I was in Stillwater, Oklahoma (Oklahoma State) I would go to Eskimo Joe's, have a hamburger, beer and buy a shirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should contribute to my own thread.

MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY (EAST LANSING)

Best Hotel - Marriott (MAC Avenue)

Best Burger & Beer - Crunchy's (Grand River Avenue)

Best Dog/Brat & Beer - What Up Dawg? (Albert Avenue)

Best Breakfast - Leo's (MAC)

Best Ice Cream - MSU Dairy Store (Farm Lane or Student Union)

Best Pub - Harper's (Albert)

Best Dive Bar - The Riv (MAC)

Best Place to Eat/Drink Outside - Peanut Barrel (Grand River)

Best Place to Eat/Drink on a Roof - El Azteco (Albert)

Best Place to Get a Cigar - Campbell's Smoke Shop (MAC)

I see I broke my own format a little but you get the idea.

Back