Collecting Bad Debts

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdcengineer

Sharp as a piece of beach glass
Reaction score
Has anyone ever filed a lien for unpaid fees? I'm not sure if it's worth it, because this fee is only a couple hundred dollars, but it's just this desire to make this clients had hurt that has me wondering if I should try and collect.

I'm not sure if professional services would qualify for a mechanic's lien. And the client did not own the property we worked on. It was his rented place of business.

Flaming bag of dog poo on his porch, and an invoice taped to his doorbell?

I don't see why a mechanic's lien wouldn't work. You did work on the plans for his building project (I assume), and he didn't pay you, therefore you have a claim to his property. It would be just like a plumber or electrician, minus the materials.

I don't see why a mechanic's lien wouldn't work. You did work on the plans for his building project (I assume), and he didn't pay you, therefore you have a claim to his property. It would be just like a plumber or electrician, minus the materials.
Except that he doesn't own the property.

I like the flaming bag of poo. Or I may flame him in the local newspaper. We live in a small community and we have a column known as the scum alert.

Not worth my time. I just want an easy way to piss this guy off.
you really can't get a lot easier than filling out a form and paying a nominal filing fee to initiate a legal action.

Except that he doesn't own the property.

I like the flaming bag of poo. Or I may flame him in the local newspaper. We live in a small community and we have a column known as the scum alert.
I suppose "name-calling" is cheaper but it likely won't get you anywhere.

you really can't get a lot easier than filling out a form and paying a nominal filing fee to initiate a legal action.

I meant small claims court isn't worth my time.

Cap'n, what's an HSD?

I meant small claims court isn't worth my time.
I know, but that's all that's involved in filing a claim in small claims court. It will serve as notice to the guy that your willing to take him to court for it. If you don't have time for that, then you might as just leave a HSD on his car hood and write the money off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I got you. The notice of court might be all it takes to get him to pay.

Still love the HSD... I spoke with him the other day and he told me he didn't think he wanted to pay. I will get him face to face and see what he says. If he has the balls to deny payment to my face, I'll need to restrain from punching him and then consider the small claims court.

he hired you to do something and now he doesn't think he wants to pay for work you did? Isn't that called stealing?

Sure feels like stealing. He asked that we review power capacity to determine if they could expand their business. This was a job for my very first client. He was my 1st official client wen I got my license. He came back to expand and when I told him he didn;t have the ability to do what he wanted, he got pissed and hung up on me. I knew he wouldn't pay based on the hang up, but have been sending invoices ever since. I finally got him on the phone the other day and he basically said he got no value and felt my time spent didn;t warrant payment.

you don't want to punch him. If you need to got to court, it's better to use small claims then to be facing assault charges.

If this guy is that much of an a$$, I'd say you need to write it off. Don't veer do any work for him again and if he needs anything related to you prior work for him, tell him to go take a flying leap. Just becasue the answer is not what one wants to hear doesn't mean that the work wasn't done.

That's why when we do work for private citizens, we demand payment up front. When they don't like the answer we give them, they don't like to pay the invoice.

Has anyone ever filed a lien for unpaid fees? I'm not sure if it's worth it, because this fee is only a couple hundred dollars, but it's just this desire to make this clients had hurt that has me wondering if I should try and collect.

I'm not sure if professional services would qualify for a mechanic's lien. And the client did not own the property we worked on. It was his rented place of business.
Yes professional services do qualify for a mechanic's lien, however, you can't use one in this case anyways. For that small of an amount, file the small claims suit, chances are he'll pay before you'd have to go before the judge.

Two things you should always have before doing work, esp for Joe & Suzy Public:

1. Signed Letter of authorization outlining job scope & payment terms.
  2. Retainer, minimum 50% of expected invoice, at least up to a reasonable ceiling.

That's why when we do work for private citizens, we demand payment up front. When they don't like the answer we give them, they don't like to pay the invoice.
I usually get a retainer up front to cover things like this, but becuase he was a repeat customer I waived the need for it. My Bad!

We had an email authorizing the work. usually not our standard operating procedure, but we made the exception for a repeat client. Never again.

Back