Classic Commercials

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Conjunction junction what's your function.....
I think that was from PBS in the Boston area...

That wasn't a commercial it was a School House Rock short.

Altogether now.

Once upon a time there was an engineer

Choo Choo Charlie was his name, we hear.

He had an engine and he sure had fun

He used GOOD & PLENTY candy to make his train run.

Charlie says "Love my GOOD & PLENTY!"

Charlie says "Really rings my bell!"

Charlie says "Love my GOOD & PLENTY!"

Don't know any other candy that I love so well!

What walks downstairs....

Last edited by a moderator:
Ford trucks have got it (dot, dot, dot) where it counts!

Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.

Ancient Chinese secret, eh?

If it says Libby's, Libby's, Libby's on the label, label, label, you will like it, like it, like it, on your table, table, table.

^I still refuse to let the smooth taste fool me.

Lando-Calrissian.jpg

Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce,

Special orders don't upset us...

The one that really sticks with me as an ad campaign that I sought to really know was the McDonald's song with all the menu items. I remember the tray liners had all the items with pictures and I spent a good deal of time on the school bus trying to see if I had memorized it. Here's the wikipedia article:

McDonald's menu song
The McDonald's $1,000,000 Menu Song was an instant-win promotion created as part of an advertising campaign, which ran from 1988 to early 1989. As the name suggests, the song, which was a remake of Reunion's 1974 hit single "Life Is a Rock (But the Radio Rolled Me)", incorporates all of the items (at that time) on the McDonald's menu: sandwiches, other lunch/dinner items, breakfast items, dessert items, and drinks, in that order.

Promotion overview

Flexi discs containing the song were attached to advertising sheets. On most versions of the recording, the singers were not able to recite the song perfectly from start to finish; when the singers made a mistake, the record was over. If the singer was able to complete the song, the record was a $1,000,000 instant winner.

80,000,000 records were distributed, and only one of them was a winner.[13] The promotion was won by Salem, Virginia resident Charlene Price, who used the money to purchase the convenience store where she worked.[14]

United States lyrics

The lyrics read as follows:

Big Mac, McDLT, a Quarter-Pounder with some cheese, Filet-O-Fish, a hamburger, a cheeseburger, a Happy Meal. McNuggets, tasty golden french fries, regular or larger size, and salads: chef or garden, or a chicken salad oriental. Big Big Breakfast, Egg McMuffin, hot hot cakes, and sausage. Maybe biscuits, bacon, egg and cheese, a sausage, danish, hash browns too. And for dessert hot apple pies, and sundaes three varieties, a soft-serve cone, three kinds of shakes, and chocolatey chip cookies. And to drink a Coca-Cola, Diet Coke, and orange drink, A Sprite and coffee, decaf too, A lowfat milk, also an orange juice. I love McDonald's, good time great taste, and I get this all at one place...

"Tonight, let it be Lowenbrau."

"just a pinch between your cheek and gum..."

I think it was Don Merideth, although I forget which brand of chew it was for. Tobacco commercials were banned soon after that.

I always like the CRX commercial that showed just a box in the desrt as the camera panned around it. Jack in the box music played and when it ended a panel dropped and a CRX came flying out at the viewer. The voiceover said "Surprise!"

Also, the Porsche 944 commercial that showed the car in a four wheel drift through a wet skidpad while "School's out" played.

The first commercial I saw for the Toyota MR2 had the car driving around in a pinball machine. I had one of those series MR2s for a while. Little car was a blast to drive.

Back