Clarification EERM- Air Quality-Chapter 38- Ex 38.13

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suryan

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was going thru the below example (Example 38.13) in EERM. The solution/formula uses "u" as 4m/s. Isn't the right approach to calculate the windspeed at stack height of 225 (given the wind speed at 10m) and use windspeed at stack height in the formula? Cooper and Alley had a similar problem and that book used the wind speed at stack height. What is the correct solution?

- An air pollutant is emitted at 3.6 kg/s thru a stack with an effective height of 225 m. The wind speed at 10 m above grade is 4m/s and the atmospheric stabiliy conditions are Class B. (a) What is the location of maximum ground level concentration along the plume centerline? (b) What is the max ground level conc?

Thanks for your help!!

Suryan

I don't have any reference material available to me right now...but...in every single practice problem I did that was like this, you simply used the windspeed given without any correction for height.

It's asking for ground level concentration so can't correct for height. Find phi z using 0.707*height

Back