Civil Help - Foundation Settling

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?
Reaction score
Guy at work is asking me all these questions about a house he's buying in Austin. He said that a structural engineer came by to do a report on the house (by request of the existing owner). Sounds like the driveway near garage has dropped about 4", and there's some cracking in the basement.

He's just curious about what he's getting into and is looking for some book resourses that he can use to better understand the situation and interpret the engineer's report.

Any ideas? :dunno:

He needs to consult with a Geotechnical Engineer

Get the site Geotechnical report if it was done. I doubt

that they did, b/c they wouldn't have this problem.

I practice Geotechnical Engineering and I just had a similar case.

He might also have to look into the construction part. The constructor

might of not compact the soil correctly according to specs.

;)

You are right on, El Nica. prolly something much simpler than my exotic suggestion. I often make the mistake of assuming it was done right the first time. :wtf:

cracks in walls or the floor? (of basement)

is the drive on a bunch of fill?

How old is the house?

I think it's about 10 years, the driveway is on fill and the engineering report he had described that the fill / pack for driveways is much different than foundations, so because the driveway is settling, it might not indicate any issues with the structure of the house.

There were no visible cracks inside (after asking him more about it), but that there was an upstairs hallway that seemed to slope. Accoring to the engineer that did the report, he finally concluded that the upstairs hallway was more of a building defect vs. settling problem, because there were no other indications of settling.

He went ahead and bought the house, since his wife and he liked the area enough and he felt comfortable with the engineering report and summary...

I hope there's no more issues, but the guy is pretty competent, so I think he'll be alright...

Thanks guys!

Back