Buying a home with foundation damage

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
in this are almost all the houses look just like this one. but, they don't go on sale that often since its one of the most historic neighborhoods in KC. All the houses are in the range of 1500-2200 SF depending on how much they built out the attic and basement.

There are about 4-5 on the market right now. but they all seem to either be in need of MAJOR repair like this one and priced in the low 100s, or are recently renovated and $300k. What i really need is something in the middle. Guess im gonna keep looking!

Put in an offer on a house one block away. was almost twice the price and needs updating, but structure is good (as far as i know, will have inspection prior to final agreement)

so we had the full home inspection over the weekend. structurally the house is pretty sound. there is one basement wall that is bowing inward very slightly. we had a structural engineer look at it not jsut the home inspector. he said that its not any immediate issue, but it could become one. he saide he could probably get it taken car of now for about $1200 or look at it again in a year or if we notice any changes.

of course there are plenty of other things that this house needs (all new roof, chimney needs a lot of work, and some other minor issues). we're trying to get the seller to at least take care of the roof or most of it. we'll see how it goes.

So we ended up getting the second house! We close on Feb 4th! After the inspection i was able to get the seller to agree to replace the entire roof, install all 3 chimney liners (2 for main fireplace, 1 for utility), pull out some dead trees, rod out all the plumbing and a few other little things in exchange for upping the price by $3,500. All that stuff would have run me $16-$18K but instead i'll just pay $18/mo for 30 years haha! With all the money we kept in pocket we are getting the master closet and bathroom remodeled before we move in at the end of February! Any ideas on that?!

Back