Civil Cut Scores.....47???

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was not me, it was a friend of mine who took the exam in April.  I took structures and failed with 50/80

We are all making each other crazy... someone above mentioned you have to pass both the AM and PM?  I have heard completely the opposite, I was told try and get 38/39 correct in the AM so you only need around 20 in the PM to pass.
Yeah, I thought the same as you, and this youtube video series is in-line with our thinking...and Dr. Tom knows what's up. 

Failing with a 75% (60/80) would crush me. I hope your friend is mistaken!

That was not me, it was a friend of mine who took the exam in April.  I took structures and failed with 50/80

We are all making each other crazy... someone above mentioned you have to pass both the AM and PM?  I have heard completely the opposite, I was told try and get 38/39 correct in the AM so you only need around 20 in the PM to pass.
I would caution in believing anything people say unless they can confirm it. I think it's fairly common knowledge that your score from the AM and PM portions are combined to determined pass/fail, so you don't necessarily have to make a specific score for each session. I would also caution people about believing unverified failed scores. I doubt very seriously someone would fail with 60/80. I mentioned in another post that in conversation with a colleague that used to serve on state engineering board that he would be skeptical in hearing anyone scoring above 57 failing. Take it for what it's worth! 

^^  April's "cut score" will not be necessarily the same as October's, just fyi. 

I deduced in april 2016 that the Civil/Structural cut score was 56; I got a 52. and it drove me nuts. (from the highest failing score posted being a 55)

Also remember you're only collecting data from people who are present on EB, so it's all entirely speculation - even if we did come up with a decision on what the "cut score" would be. 

ALSO ALSO remember you're all awesome! If you passed this round or any previous round, CONGRATUFUCKINGLATIONS! If you missed it, that's ok. Lots of us do, have, and will. But you can do it! keep your chin up and work hard and get that green box and let's party! (After the green box, and before :) )

I think that is fairly standard.  Others may still have the historic pass rates to prove me wrong but it seems like the str/trans/wre/geo fluctuate between 65-70% and the construction fluctuates between 55-60.  I have no idea if this is true, but I suspect part of the lower score is due to misinformation.  I would assume all the civil pe exams are of relatively equal difficulty BUT there seem to be a lot of people who assume the construction is "easier".  I would guess the construction PE exam gets more applicants who don't do that type of work than the others as its either a catch all or they mistaken think it'll be easier than the exam in their field and so they chose an exam they are potentially less prepared for.
I work in Construction and three of my coworkers failed it the first time. Their second try was Geotech and they passed. So they advised me not to take Construction but I did, and I passed the first try. I agree, I maybe in Construction work but I do not see a lot of the tested topics at work.....but I enrolled at EET to learn those topics and that helped me big time!

Took construction first time.. passed. I did school of pe & didn't watch any football all fall :( . Took ncees practice test and scored a 55? Took mikes practice test and got a 58? Bombed the goswami test with like a 43/80. Test day was a long 8 hours but felt like it was the same difficulty as ncees practice test. I was prepared for the PM portion. probably was 27-30 in AM and about 30-33 PM.

Wild to think there's a 55% pass rate.

Took construction first time.. passed. I did school of pe & didn't watch any football all fall :( . Took ncees practice test and scored a 55? Took mikes practice test and got a 58? Bombed the goswami test with like a 43/80. Test day was a long 8 hours but felt like it was the same difficulty as ncees practice test. I was prepared for the PM portion. probably was 27-30 in AM and about 30-33 PM.

Wild to think there's a 55% pass rate.
55% pass rate for 1st time test takers. When you look at the overall volume for construction the pass rate was 42%. Mike's practice test says the cut off is usually 56 or 57 which seems right to me. I got a 62/80 on the NCEES practice exam and felt similar about the actual test.

I have heard and also always assumed that you have to get a passing rate on both Morning and afternoon sections. Its not based on overall score

For example a fail with a 60/80 with 35/40 in the morning and a 25/40 in the afternoon would not necessarily pass, but a 30//40 in the morning and 30/40 in the afternoon would pass.
I don't believe it's true. I didn't do well in the morning to the point I didn't want to bother coming back to the afternoon part, but I did. There were only 2 questions I don't feel comfortable with in the afternoon and I passes. I am 100% sure my morning was out of passing, way out, and I only made it due to getting pretty much everything right in the afternoon.

When I failed last time I had 54/80 with the majority right questions in the AM part. Civil Transportation.

I don't believe it's true. I didn't do well in the morning to the point I didn't want to bother coming back to the afternoon part, but I did. There were only 2 questions I don't feel comfortable with in the afternoon and I passes. I am 100% sure my morning was out of passing, way out, and I only made it due to getting pretty much everything right in the afternoon.

When I failed last time I had 54/80 with the majority right questions in the AM part. Civil Transportation.
This was exactly my situation.  I passed Civil Transportation, but I think I got 20ish/40 in the AM and 35+ in the PM

I passed civil structural with 62/80, a friend of mine got 56/80 and passed. I have a feeling that was the cut off. Not sure if anyone got 55 and passed.

Susan replied

Dec 21, 11:08am

Congratulations on passing the exam. 

By policy, NCEES reports scores on a pass/fail basis. 

This is an exam where you are compared against a minimum standard – not other engineers. The questions/exams are not designed to rank order the examinees, so a passing “score” doesn’t mean anything – other than you passed.

Examinees who passed the exam do not receive diagnostic reports. The purpose of the diagnostic report is to provide feedback about the failing examinee’s exam results and to help focus the examinee in preparation for retaking the exam. 

A passing score on an NCEES exam is the number of correct answers or points required to indicate a knowledge level necessary to meet a minimum performance standard for a discipline. Each problem in the exam equals one raw point. An examinee’s exam score is the total number of problems that an examinee answered correctly on the exam. In order to pass the exam, the examinee’s exam score needs to meet or exceed the examination passing score. 

NCEES does not release the passing score for each exam administration, because the passing score for each exam varies depending on the difficulty of the exam. To avoid confusion, we do not release the passing score requirement for any particular exam.

--
Susan Cline
[email protected]

I passed civil structural with 62/80, a friend of mine got 56/80 and passed. I have a feeling that was the cut off. Not sure if anyone got 55 and passed.
I'm just curious- How do you know your score?

Texas provides only percentile. 75(%) does not necessarily mean that 60/80.

@joy21, I don't know my score. I based it off of percentage. So it could be off by 1 or 2 depending on how many problems were thrown out.

Back