Civil- Construction Module

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civil78

Reaction score
Anyone out there taking the Civil Construction PM module in October 2009? I took it in the Spring but missed by 2 points... not the best news that I've received in my life recently.. Anyone have good info on studying? I used the Rawan.. study guide- decent, but not as big of a help as I would have hoped and had the OSHA for construction manual. Using a recommendation from an old thread, I ordered a crane and rigging handbook, and the MUDCD- any more recommendations? Also- anyone know of a resource for learning crane inspections/ safety as well as site safety and temporary structures?

I've had a lot of experience in the crane and rigging industry. Designed spreader bars and other stuff. ANSI B 30 has standards for this. Also, Bob's Rigging and Crane handbook is something we all carry. Shapiro Cranes and Derricks is another that's useful for us in the industry, although I'm not sure if it would apply to much on the exam....

I'm sitting for the October exam. Trying to decide if the Structural Depth or Construction Depth is the best choice for me. How much crane stuff is in the Construction exam?

I've had a lot of experience in the crane and rigging industry. Designed spreader bars and other stuff. ANSI B 30 has standards for this. Also, Bob's Rigging and Crane handbook is something we all carry. Shapiro Cranes and Derricks is another that's useful for us in the industry, although I'm not sure if it would apply to much on the exam....
I'm sitting for the October exam. Trying to decide if the Structural Depth or Construction Depth is the best choice for me. How much crane stuff is in the Construction exam?

If you have worked around cranes before, planning lifts and so forth, then the crane questions are not that bad. Make sure that you have a ridding handbook though.

I am taking the Construction exam. I took it in April and failed as well. I was annoyed that the Rawen book didn't really help much. I too am looking for a good book to use for Construction if anyone out there knows of one.

Thanks

I am taking the Construction exam. I took it in April and failed as well. I was annoyed that the Rawen book didn't really help much. I too am looking for a good book to use for Construction if anyone out there knows of one. Thanks

The Smartpros book available at the ASCE store was very helpful. New Civil Engineering Construction Module for the Civil PE Exam by Edward G. Dauenheimer, P.E.

Chens handbook could be usefull but you really dont need it for the morning, I find the difference in formats and units too confusing to be useful. Good overall reference but not tha usefull for the morning portion of the test. It covers many of the same topics as lindberg so you could use it if you wanted.

My suggestion is KIS focus on lindberg know it in and out and use the index on every problem.

^ Good Call.... There were a couple of times where i THOUGHT i knew exactly where the answer was to a certain problem...only to find it wasn't there....then i had to go to the index (which is what I should have done in the first place)

Back