Christmas gift giving

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We stopped giving gifts within the extended family years ago. Now the grandkids get a few gifts from my parents, and my parents get a gift from all us "kids", and thats it. The real point of Christmas for us is just the family get-together. We have dinner, etc. I have a lot of help from Jack Daniels.

The real point of Christmas for us is just the family get-together. ... I have a lot of help from Jack Daniels.
I don't know why, but that's just funny. I guess because you're talking about the point of Christmas and then finish off with liquor. I can't confirm this, but I don't believe Jesus intended his followers to float in sour mash during the season. :p

The real point of Christmas for us is just the family get-together. ... I have a lot of help from Jack Daniels.
I don't know why, but that's just funny. I guess because you're talking about the point of Christmas and then finish off with liquor. I can't confirm this, but I don't believe Jesus intended his followers to float in sour mash during the season. :p
I'm sure some here got the reference. The Jack Daniels thing is a (not quite exact) quote from National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably didn't intend for people to get shot over a parking space at the mall either. :plusone:

My sister-in-law finally proposed that we draw names out of a hat for this year and I applauded when I heard that. I'm tired of spending more money on my husband's family than we spend on our own house.

My sister-in-law finally proposed that we draw names out of a hat for this year and I applauded when I heard that. I'm tired of spending more money on my husband's family than we spend on our own house.
woohoo!!! reduction in $ spent on christmas presents is always a good thing.

I dropped $750 on plane tickets, will get nailed for $100+ on baggage, and probably a $300-$400 kennel bill for this Xmas. My in laws will be lucky to get my bag of peanuts from the plane ride.

I dropped $750 on plane tickets, will get nailed for $100+ on baggage, and probably a $300-$400 kennel bill for this Xmas. My in laws will be lucky to get my bag of peanuts from the plane ride.
you will have to pay for the peanuts too!

no one said dogs are cheap, youd be spending that same amount or more on plane tickets for 2 kids.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 1 brother and 1 sister. They each have three kids. I have two kids myself. In my family, we do a blind drawing. Each family picks a name for the appropriate number of adults and kids in your own family. For instance, all of the adults names would go into one hat (mine, my wife, brother, brother's wife, sister, sister's husband). Each family would pick two adult names. All of the kids names would go into another hat and each family picks names for the number of kids you have. If you pick names of your own children, repick or trade with someone. Basically, each family buys two adult gifts and the same number of kid gifts as the number of children you have.

This works well for families where each person has children.

you will have to pay for the peanuts too!

no one said dogs are cheap, youd be spending that same amount or more on plane tickets for 2 kids.
True, I'm just bitching about spending a lot of money.

3) Festivus - Start celebrating this "holiday" instead of Christmas. More yelling and more upset family members, but, hey, there's an aluminum pole instead of a tree. Less messy.

Make out a donation in all of your family member's names to "The Human Fund".

Back