Chevy Volt to get 230 mpg

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know the hybrids can all run on gas, even with no batteries, right? They just aren't as efficient.
Very aware.

<--- Car junkie

Hybrids still have expensive battery packs not covered under warranty, expensive, and cannot be done by a non-stealership. Under the hood is still a fustercluck of mess that the average Joe can no longer tinker with.

The volt was accused of bursting into flames after impact (days later) recently wasn't it? Not that you'd sit in the car for days following a crash.

The volt was accused of bursting into flames after impact (days later) recently wasn't it? Not that you'd sit in the car for days following a crash.
Yeah, and in response, GM has assembled teams of experts that travel to shops/junkyards after crashes to properly disconnect/drain/etc. the batteries to avoid it. I wonder how many people they will have to hire if they meet their goal of 60k Volts this year.

There ya go...Obama is creating jobs!

You know the hybrids can all run on gas, even with no batteries, right? They just aren't as efficient.
Very aware.

<--- Car junkie

Hybrids still have expensive battery packs not covered under warranty, expensive, and cannot be done by a non-stealership. Under the hood is still a fustercluck of mess that the average Joe can no longer tinker with.
Not that there are many non-hybrids being sold now that are easy to work with anyways. The computer and electronics of most gasoline engines are a big PITA to work on.

question: How do you convert coal / electric energy to miles per gallon?
I read somewhere that it's like about 34 kilowatt hours=1 gallon of gasoline... if that means anything...
That conversion is correct, 1 gallon of gasoline contains approximately the same amount of energy of 34 kWh. But it does not take into account the differences in efficiency between gasoline propulsion and electric. There will be some losses in the eletric motor and battery, but much much less than the gasoline engine.

Anyone have hard data on these efficiences? I would gues at absolute WORST, the electric drive is twice as efficient as the gasoline, but I wouldn't be surprised if the ratio is much better than that. If I did the math right, that means the electric propulsion costs about half that of gasoline, and perhaps a lot better than that.
That must be about right, because the 16 kW hr battery is good for about forty miles, and I *think* it discharges to only 60% capacity.

Hybrids still have expensive battery packs not covered under warranty, expensive, and cannot be done by a non-stealership.
Volt and Prius have a battery pack with a warranty of at least 100K miles. I'm almost positive the other hybrids are the same because it counts as an emission system.

Yeah, if stored upside down for three weeks without the batteries drained, it may catch fire. Of course, cars catch fire every day (Toyota just had a huge recall for doors that catch fire), but you don't hear much about that.

Yeah, if stored upside down for three weeks without the batteries drained, it may catch fire. Of course, cars catch fire every day (Toyota just had a huge recall for doors that catch fire), but you don't hear much about that.
heck my crv had a recall for chance of fire in the door because the seal on the power window button wasn't right and water and cleaner was getting to the motor.

General Motors has cut the price of the 2013 Chevrolet Volt by $4,000 to boost stalling sales.

Nearly three years after the Volt debuted, sales of the extended-range electric car appear to be hitting a wall, and the steeper incentives will make the car even costlier for GM.

The price cuts come in the form of incentives of as much as $4,000 for those buying 2013 Volts and up to $5,000 for 2012 Volts. Those incentives are in addition to a $7,500 federal tax credit and a $1,500 state tax credit for those who live in California.

With a starting price of $39,995, the final cost of a 2013 Volt could now be as low as $28,495 for non-California residents.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130610/BUSINESS0101/306100100/

maybe this means reale values are dropping like a rock. I hope so. I'd still like a used one in a few years.

I was very tempted to lease one a few months back. The monthly payment would've been about what I am currently paying in gas and I would be able to charge it for free here at work. I just didn't want to put down 2k for the down payment on a lease.

Back