Changing to Transportation Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calixico

Reaction score
I have been considering trying the Transportation depth as I failed the Water Resources this past October. My diagnostics show that I struggled in Water Quality and Wastewater tratment problems. I have acquired the references needed for Transpo, except Roadside Design Guide. I know that all recommended references are needed, as stated by NCEES, but it couldn't be that a massive amount of questions are taken from this manuals?

Based on the diagnostics, I came up with about 54 questions correct total in the exam. I got about 31 correct in the morning and 22 in the afternoon. My coworkers that I studied with all passed the Transpo depth and stayed away from Water resources because of the environmental problems. I don't know whose great idea it is to joined Drainage and Hydrology with environmental questions.

For successful Transpotation test takes and passers, would working the 6-minutes and Lindberg practice problems adequate to get familiarized with references such as HCM, MUTCD, AASTHO Greenbook, etc for readiness for the April exam?

How did you learn these references?

I have been considering trying the Transportation depth as I failed the Water Resources this past October. My diagnostics show that I struggled in Water Quality and Wastewater tratment problems. I have acquired the references needed for Transpo, except Roadside Design Guide. I know that all recommended references are needed, as stated by NCEES, but it couldn't be that a massive amount of questions are taken from this manuals?
Based on the diagnostics, I came up with about 54 questions correct total in the exam. I got about 31 correct in the morning and 22 in the afternoon. My coworkers that I studied with all passed the Transpo depth and stayed away from Water resources because of the environmental problems. I don't know whose great idea it is to joined Drainage and Hydrology with environmental questions.

For successful Transportation test takes and passers, would working the 6-minutes and Lindberg practice problems adequate to get familiarized with references such as HCM, MUTCD, AASTHO Greenbook, etc for readiness for the April exam?

Spydy,

I took Transpo twice and each time the Roadside guide was not with me. There were at least 3 problems that came directly from that reference each time and i was left guessing, and got them wrong. I switched to Water Resources this time and i personally thought it was much easier. The questions seemed to be clear on what exactly they were asking. I am sure that I didn't do as well on the Environmental mental side, but I felt that I made up for that shortcoming by being stronger on the water resources.

The transpo depth is definitely about knowing which reference they are getting the question from and then deciphering what answer they want as there are usually more than one way to get the solution. If you are going to go Tranpo in the afternoon , get all the required references and know your way around them.

For successful Transpotation test takes and passers, would working the 6-minutes and Lindberg practice problems adequate to get familiarized with references such as HCM, MUTCD, AASTHO Greenbook, etc for readiness for the April exam?
Spyderman,

I took the Transportation depth and I can tell you that you will need to have all the reference material with you and be familiar where to locate things. Otherwise you could lose a lot of time a cause yourself unneeded stress during the test. Though my test was more calculation/problem based, co-workers of mine who had taken the tests just prior and just after mine told me that theirs was more reference material based. Both had problems getting through the test because, even though they do transportation design work, they were not very familiar with the federal reference material. Their work experience did help them when it came to working calculated problems.

As far as learning from the reference materials: I would suggest that if you do not use them when you're at work, then use them while you are studing the 6-minutes and Lindberg material. If you do not use them to solve the practice problems directly, after you are done solving the problem, try to find where that problem's material is located in your reference material before moving on to the next one.

For successful Transportation test takes and passers, would working the 6-minutes and Lindberg practice problems adequate to get familiarized with references such as HCM, MUTCD, AASTHO Greenbook, etc for readiness for the April exam?

Spydy,

I took Transpo twice and each time the Roadside guide was not with me. There were at least 3 problems that came directly from that reference each time and i was left guessing, and got them wrong. I switched to Water Resources this time and i personally thought it was much easier. The questions seemed to be clear on what exactly they were asking. I am sure that I didn't do as well on the Environmental mental side, but I felt that I made up for that shortcoming by being stronger on the water resources.

The transpo depth is definitely about knowing which reference they are getting the question from and then deciphering what answer they want as there are usually more than one way to get the solution. If you are going to go Tranpo in the afternoon , get all the required references and know your way around them.

Mutha:

Thanks for your response. My only problems is that I am not too strong on Hydrographs. I know the fundaments but not the in-depth knowledge. I agree so far it appears that the transpo problem goes through a lot of hoops to solve them.

Could you direct me somewhere (text books , website, etc) where I could go and get a great review on Hydrographs. I am really weak on those topics and CERM does not do a good job on the subjetc matter? Could you recommnd a good textbook on Hydrology, ex., the one you personally brought into the exam that helped for Water Resources afternoon passing grade?

Spyderman,

I took the WR and Env depth this past Oct. I am still waiting for the results from CA. Could you please post your diagnostic report, since I am trying to figure out what the cut score was for the WR depth exam. This would really help a lot of people.

Thanks.

Spydy,

Mutha:

Thanks for your response. My only problems is that I am not too strong on Hydrographs. I know the fundaments but not the in-depth knowledge. I agree so far it appears that the transpo problem goes through a lot of hoops to solve them.

Could you direct me somewhere (text books , website, etc) where I could go and get a great review on Hydrographs. I am really weak on those topics and CERM does not do a good job on the subjetc matter? Could you recommnd a good textbook on Hydrology, ex., the one you personally brought into the exam that helped for Water Resources afternoon passing grade?
The NRCS has the National Engineering Handbook that can be downloaded for free and contains lots of great information. Part 630 covers Hydrology but there are several other subjects you may want to look at. I also carried in a local Stormwater Design manual. They are all pretty much the same, but Maryland has one that can be downloaded and is chock full of useful information. I also took the ASCE PE review and they do a really good job of reviewing hydrographs.

I took the exam 3 years ago in Transportation depth but did not pass, although I studied only for a total of 8 hours. I attended a review class though. I am planning to give the exam in April 2010 and debating b/w water resources and Transportation. I remember that last time when i took the exam there were at least 2 questions that came from the roadside design guide that were looking up directly on the graphs, but since I did not have the guide i could not answer them. I got 66 that time and the roadside guide could have made the difference.

Back