Change in PE structural exams by NCEES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vhmehta

Reaction score
Just to think about something other than results!!!

I got information that SE1 and SE2 are going to undergo major changes by NCEES and now I got confirmed message from NCEES website about that:

"The National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) will introduce a new 16-hour Structural PE exam in April 2011. The exam will replace the current Structural I and Structural II exams, which will be administered for the last time in October 2010. "

For people who have given SE1 have upto October 2010 to complete SE2 and avoid taking 16 hour exam. The bad part about the new format is that both exams will occur one after the other in consecutive days! I could hardly think after first 8 hours of exam.... I don't know if I can go through the same 8 hour exam the next day!

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I understand , you are allowed to break it up... for instance, take day one in the fall and day two in the spring. I read that from NCEES somewhere. Clock is ticking!!! Hope I pass today. It's in the mail as we speak.

from what I understand , you are allowed to break it up... for instance, take day one in the fall and day two in the spring. I read that from NCEES somewhere. Clock is ticking!!! Hope I pass today. It's in the mail as we speak.
Yes but I don't see any credit given for people who have already passed SE1..... We would still have to give another 16 hour exam..... as far as I understand...

yeah, you might be right. If I can just get through today, I will worry about that tomorrow!! We gotta pass the SE1 first, to even have a chance to sit for the SE2. Still, the premise of it all is stressful. I feel your pain!!!!

Yes but I don't see any credit given for people who have already passed SE1..... We would still have to give another 16 hour exam..... as far as I understand...
vhmehta,

You won't get any credit from your Structural I exam. You would have to either pass the Structural II prior to April of 2011 or simply take the entire 16 hour Structural exam.

It sucks, but honestly what is needed in the field of structural engineering.

vhmehta,
You won't get any credit from your Structural I exam. You would have to either pass the Structural II prior to April of 2011 or simply take the entire 16 hour Structural exam.

It sucks, but honestly what is needed in the field of structural engineering.
Yes, I agree that this change was needed for structural engineering but they could have phased out SE11 exam for people who would pass SE1 in April and October 2010. Who would want to give SE1 in October 2010??

This makes the result for this exam absolutely critical for me as I would want to give SE11 in April 2010 so that way I have two chances to pass them..... I am really worried about result of my SE1 and am waiting in Maryland......

vhmehta,

It is not a good place to be in to say the least. Unfortunately, they would have to stop giving the SEII exam eventually. The NCEES simply decided that the last time it would be offered would be in October of 2010.

When the structural PAKS came out last year I could already see the writing on the wall. Not everyone was told about this, but then again not too many looked for this change either.

All I can say is that if you pass the Structural I, then take the Structural II ASAP. If you happen to not pass the Structural I, then take the Civil and bide your time before you take the 16 hour Structural exam.

The current SE1 and SE2 are not accepted by all states. California, for instance, requires a 3rd test to be a licensed Structural Engineer in their state. The goal with the new 2 day, 16 hour, testing extravaganza is that it will be accepted by all states. So, there is a benefit to forgoing the SEII and taking the 16 hour test. Being in Tennessee, the SEI is enough for licensure, so my path is still undecided, given that my SEI results come back in my favor.

Back