CERM (11th ed.) Ex. Prob. 47.3

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELASTIC-1

Reaction score
CERM (11th ed.) Ex. Prob. 47.3

I think the expression for the moment mp [bar AB] is incorrect and should be (0.04wL2). Can anyone else confirm this?

Also I'm not sure I agree with the overall solution. Wouldn't a more accurate approach be to calculate the slope or rotation at the end of the vertical bar AB and then create and expression for the resulting vertical displacement at point C (it would be a function of the Bar length BC and the rotation at B on Bar AB)? This value could be added to the expression the calculated for the vertical displacement on bar BC.

I think you can get an expression for the rotation at point B [bar AB] by placing a dummy/unit moment there on the Q-System

With the way the solution shows I'm not sure why they would add the deflection of the vertical bar AB to the deflection of the horizontal Bar BC? This is weird because the way I see it the deflection calculated for vertical bar AB is actually a positive global X-Direction displacement?

The second half of the final expression (displacement for Bar BC) I believe is correct and is needed for the calculation. The resulting deflection calculated would be in the global y-direction and correspond to the questions total total vertical displacement.

Any feedback/help would be great.

Latest posts

Back