CBT prep

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@WaterchildI might take PPI On-Demand course but it's so expensive lol. I was thinking of purchasing the one-month option as opposed to the 3 month option since it's cheaper. Which package did you purchase? Is one month sufficient to go through all of their quizzes, lectures and problems? Thanks!

@Kara_ENGRI'm going to be taking the exam in NY as well - just wondering when you scheduled your exam through NCEES, did you have to pay $375? Because I thought the fee that we already paid to the NYS board ($377) would cover for the first time we take the exam. Please advise - thanks!

My understanding is that the fee associated with the NYS application covers initial licensure, not the first exam. I just registered for the exam and had to pay the $375.

(Also, hi, everyone! I'm planning on taking the CBT in September or October. This thread is fantastic - thank you to everyone who has shared advice so far! I'll definitely check in when I'm further along with my studying.)

My understanding is that the fee associated with the NYS application covers initial licensure, not the first exam. I just registered for the exam and had to pay the $375.

(Also, hi, everyone! I'm planning on taking the CBT in September or October. This thread is fantastic - thank you to everyone who has shared advice so far! I'll definitely check in when I'm further along with my studying.)
Welcome @EngMel! Best of luck with your studies, and we're here if you need anything! :)

@saraxoI just checked the PPI site and it looks like they have different options now. I essentially took the 3-month On-Demand course with all the textbooks, practice exams, etc. (They were bundled in the course). My work paid for the course, which helped make the decision on which course to take.

I took the environmental PE last Monday, 5/20, and was really hoping for a results email this morning, since folks are saying Wednesdays are the day. Nothing yet as of 8:35 a.m....

@Kara_ENGRI'm going to be taking the exam in NY as well - just wondering when you scheduled your exam through NCEES, did you have to pay $375? Because I thought the fee that we already paid to the NYS board ($377) would cover for the first time we take the exam. Please advise - thanks!
Yes, you have to pay both. The $377 was just for "processing" our application. Which for me outrageously took them over 10 months! I submitted my application in march 2018 and didn't hear back until January 2019, and that was with multiple calls and emails to NYSOPED.

I took the environmental PE last Monday, 5/20, and was really hoping for a results email this morning, since folks are saying Wednesdays are the day. Nothing yet as of 8:35 a.m....
Results did come, just not very early this morning.... and I passed! Such a huge relief.

I agree with the others that there is a good bit of qualitative, worth reading up on.

I used the PPi Lindeburg reference manual for reading and worked a lot of problems from PPi and from the NCEES practice test. I used the CBT handbook as much as possible, and assumed that if complex equations needed for some of those practice problems were not in the handbook, I would not be expected to memorize them. I'd say that was true. Definitely need to know how the equations in the handbook are used, of course, and know _all_ the sections of that handbook pretty well. It's all you have, after all!

The overall format of taking the CBT was full of picky things, like turning out your pockets, removing your eyeglasses, etc, etc. Kind of unpleasant and made me nervous that I would do something wrong. But the room was very quiet, the computer worked fine, and the dry-erase pen and pad was Ok. I didn't like having to return my work if I ran out of space in order to get a new pad... so my suggestion for that is to number your work and if you want to return to a problem before you get to the end (of the first or second 40 question section), you can do that -- because you'll lose your original pad when you request a new one. My pen did start to dry out, and the new one was much better, so don't hesitate to ask for what you need!

I had enough time, using my scheduled break at around noon after the first 40 questions. I took one unscheduled break in the middle of each section. You cannot take in a watch, but there is a countdown timer on the test.

Good luck everyone!!

Results did come, just not very early this morning.... and I passed! Such a huge relief.

I agree with the others that there is a good bit of qualitative, worth reading up on.

I used the PPi Lindeburg reference manual for reading and worked a lot of problems from PPi and from the NCEES practice test. I used the CBT handbook as much as possible, and assumed that if complex equations needed for some of those practice problems were not in the handbook, I would not be expected to memorize them. I'd say that was true. Definitely need to know how the equations in the handbook are used, of course, and know _all_ the sections of that handbook pretty well. It's all you have, after all!

The overall format of taking the CBT was full of picky things, like turning out your pockets, removing your eyeglasses, etc, etc. Kind of unpleasant and made me nervous that I would do something wrong. But the room was very quiet, the computer worked fine, and the dry-erase pen and pad was Ok. I didn't like having to return my work if I ran out of space in order to get a new pad... so my suggestion for that is to number your work and if you want to return to a problem before you get to the end (of the first or second 40 question section), you can do that -- because you'll lose your original pad when you request a new one. My pen did start to dry out, and the new one was much better, so don't hesitate to ask for what you need!

I had enough time, using my scheduled break at around noon after the first 40 questions. I took one unscheduled break in the middle of each section. You cannot take in a watch, but there is a countdown timer on the test.

Good luck everyone!!
Woot woot!! Congratulations @environ-prof!!!

Yes, you have to pay both. The $377 was just for "processing" our application. Which for me outrageously took them over 10 months! I submitted my application in march 2018 and didn't hear back until January 2019, and that was with multiple calls and emails to NYSOPED.
Thanks @Kara_ENGR. And wow 10 months!? Mine took 4 months and even then I was so anxious :/  

@environ-profCongrats! Seems like the CBT exam is doable since everyone seems to be doing well :)  Makes me feel a bit better lol

Just wondering if they take away your old dry-erase notepad, can you request it back to check your work? I wouldn't feel comfortable returning the dry-erase pad knowing that I want to re-check my work at some point lol

Last edited by a moderator:
@Maryam I got a new notepad for the second half of the exam, but I didn't need to ask for a new one during the first half. I think as long as you are organized and don't try to do sloppy calculations you'll have plenty of room.

@BioEngineer I don't think that there's a specific passing score, but I would use 70% as a good assumption. That's what I did at least!

Took it yesterday.  I had plenty of room on the provided pad for my calculations.  I did get a fresh one when I came back for the afternoon portion, no issues with needing another.  As has been said, lots of qualitative content.  I actually left with an hour to spare, as I'd done everything I could do.  No idea whether I passed.  I wouldn't be surprised to learn I'd gotten 50% correct, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn I'd gotten 90%. 😳    Overall, it seemed a bit easier than I'd been anticipating, but who knows?  The PearsonVUE facility I took it at was good--big widescreen monitor with the test and the reference document side-by-side each with adjustable zoom settings.  Used the 'find' function on the reference manual a lot.  Very quiet and easy to concentrate despite probably 15 people at other stations in the room. 

Congrats to everybody whos passed since last time I was on here!

I took the test Tuesday no results yesterday. I guess it will likely be next Wednesday when I find out. 

I agree with everyone's comments that it seemed like a lot of qualitative questions!

Also I'd say the scratch work books are bigger then I thought they'd be. I just completely filled one book, so it wasn't a problem. I agree that numbering my problems and being organized in there helped when reviewing problems.

Latest posts

Back