CAT Wheel Loader Loading

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwbailey21

Man of Concrete
Reaction score
I am designing a reinforced concrete wall that inevitably be pushed against by a Caterpillar 988 wheel loader when cleaning up a rock stockpile. When cleaning up the area, the loader will push aggregate against the wall.

Does anyone have any guidance on how to calculate the load exerted through the aggregate by the loader on the wall? I have looked on Cat's website and they only list breakout forces and tipping loads.

I figured I would try here before contacting Cat directly. Thanks.

I am designing a reinforced concrete wall that inevitably be pushed against by a Caterpillar 988 wheel loader when cleaning up a rock stockpile. When cleaning up the area, the loader will push aggregate against the wall.
Does anyone have any guidance on how to calculate the load exerted through the aggregate by the loader on the wall? I have looked on Cat's website and they only list breakout forces and tipping loads.

I figured I would try here before contacting Cat directly. Thanks.
I don't think that anyone will have a direct answer to your question. I'd start by assuming the stockpile is at rest for the full height of the wall. If the wall has sides like a bin you can assume it to be a "filled bin" with a flat surface at the top of the wall.

Then pick an impact or dynamic load factor to multiply it by. This is truly an engineering judgement but you might add 100%.

Also, when your loader operator picks up the stone, it is not (we hope) his intent to push on the wall for the sake of pushing on the wall. Instead it is to use the wall as a reaction surface to push material into an empty bucket. The most the loader can push is it GVW * coefficient of friction of the tires on the driving surface, which is likely not going to be more than 1.0

If you design your wall for the aggregate and the weight of the machine, I'd say you're pretty conservative.

That would be my 1st stab based on the information you provided.

I don't think that anyone will have a direct answer to your question. I'd start by assuming the stockpile is at rest for the full height of the wall. If the wall has sides like a bin you can assume it to be a "filled bin" with a flat surface at the top of the wall.
Then pick an impact or dynamic load factor to multiply it by. This is truly an engineering judgement but you might add 100%.

Also, when your loader operator picks up the stone, it is not (we hope) his intent to push on the wall for the sake of pushing on the wall. Instead it is to use the wall as a reaction surface to push material into an empty bucket. The most the loader can push is it GVW * coefficient of friction of the tires on the driving surface, which is likely not going to be more than 1.0

If you design your wall for the aggregate and the weight of the machine, I'd say you're pretty conservative.

That would be my 1st stab based on the information you provided.

Yeah, the intent is for the loader operator to "use" the wall to help fill the empty bucket.

I love designing for "stupid" as my boss calls it. It's not very easy to quantify a mistake by a bad loader operator.

Thanks for the prompt response.

Back