Careful...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleg

Spammer Emeritus
Reaction score
Now that October 2012 is over, please feel free to post your thoughts, especially in the pinned topics at the top of this form ("advice...").

Just please be careful to respect your agreement with NCEES! They do indeed monitor these forums, and have taken action before on individuals who have revealed too much about specific exam questions!

At any rate, I hope it all went well, and welcome to the wait!

I am curious. I sat for the April 2012 Environmental PE exam and missed the mark after studying endless hours. I was very close to the mark and dissapointed to discover the content was a lot different than what I focused my study efforts on. I am debating sitting in April 2013 after I see the percentage of people who passed. Is there anyone out there who took any previous Environmental PE exams and sat for the October exams and how did this one compare?What are your thoughts from this exam? Thanks for any input you may have.

I passed in April 2012 but I asked a couple friends who took the October 2012 exam how it compared and they said the content changed pretty dramatically. They didn't get into any specifics with me but I heard the qualitative questions were very different compared to previous exams. I think that's just because the exam is so broad.

I passed in April 2012 but I asked a couple friends who took the October 2012 exam how it compared and they said the content changed pretty dramatically. They didn't get into any specifics with me but I heard the qualitative questions were very different compared to previous exams. I think that's just because the exam is so broad.
Yes CU07, qualitative questions covered broader areas and I found it tough to relate and assess...so ended up in wasting time in the morning. PM section was better than AM.

I sat on both April and October 2012 and I can confirm that the content was really different. I felt the morning session was harder (even though water/wastewater is my work area) and the afternoon qualitative questions were totally different and less focused on remediation than back in April. As previously stated, Environmental is definitely too broad to be predicted...

I sat on both April and October 2012 and I can confirm that the content was really different. I felt the morning session was harder (even though water/wastewater is my work area) and the afternoon qualitative questions were totally different and less focused on remediation than back in April. As previously stated, Environmental is definitely too broad to be predicted...
Yeah I felt the same way, i also work in water/wastewater and felt that they asked almost no design calcs. There was a few very specific theory questions related to the topics. But the Oct AM was more difficult this time and the PM seemed to be a little easier and less focused on air/thermo and remediation. It also helped that I bought the Lagrega Haz Waste Mgmt book for the Oct exam.

Syracuse...too bad he's deceased. That book is AMAZING! Rreally helped me out during the October exam.

You trying say VTEnviro that we all should do PhD's at Syracuse to make the EnviroE world even crazier than it already is? Though admittedly I do like stepping on CivilE, ChemE, (Hydro)geologists and MechE toes at the same time, drives them nuts! :tardbang:

Hey guys,

First time test taker here. From what I understand it's against the rules to talk about specific questions? That's a shame because there are a number of questions that I remember very well with all four of the options too that I would have liked to discuss!

Glad to see that I'm not the only who thought the AM session was more difficult with the PM. I too work in water/wastewater field, and I have no experience whatsoever (school or professional) with waste management but I somehow found the PM session much easier.

That first question on the AM session really messed me up. I'm STILL not quite sure what it was even asking for (is it even against the rules if someone who remembers the question can PM to explain it to me?) I think having that as the first question messed me because I spent so much time on it and it affected me both psychologically but also in end I didn't even have time to finish the AM session so had to guess on a few questions.

However, there were some questions - especially on the PM session - that were really easy. A lot of high school chemistry and some of the qualitative questions were common sense (again I won't mention which ones because I'm guessing that's also not allowed). It also helped that some questions gave numbers in mg and asked for answers in ug, which makes it easy to identify the answer, especially when you don't have time to go over them (one of the two that are 3 orders of magnitude different!)

Overall, I found the PM surprisingly easy but I'm afraid that the AM messed me up so badly that I will be sitting again for April.

Is it true that they give you your score if you don't pass? I would be interested to see if I actually did well on the questions I think I did. And around what time are the results available?

Best of luck with results anyone.

mkt1, I know what you're talking about, but for safety, not a WORD!

And you don't get a score, you get a diagnostic report:

http://ncees.org/Exams/Pages/Scoring.php

But I can anticipate what you're going to say: The exam was all over the place, how could you diagnose areas to focus your study on to improve your weaknesses?!

I think it's the nature of the enviro exam, and the discipline in general.

Good luck...you may have done better than you think!

First time test taker here. From what I understand it's against the rules to talk about specific questions? That's a shame because there are a number of questions that I remember very well with all four of the options too that I would have liked to discuss!
Hey, you signed it there man, it's your license not mine. Be advised that NCEES regularly monitors this site, and we try to cooperate with their requests about exam security.

http://ncees.org/Exa...ges/Scoring.php

But I can anticipate what you're going to say: The exam was all over the place, how could you diagnose areas to focus your study on to improve your weaknesses?!
Thanks for the link! Yes, it was kind of all over the place! But so was the NCEES practice exam so I'm assuming all Enviro exams are like that. It would be nice if it were a breadth and depth exam similar to the civil/mechanical/electrical exams. Have everything in the AM session and just one topic in the PM. Isn't it unrealistic to assume that every enviro engineer is knowledgeable in all fields tested in the exam? But then again, like I said previously, I ended up doing better in the portion that was unrelated to my professional and academic field so who knows!!

Be advised that NCEES regularly monitors this site, and we try to cooperate with their requests about exam security.
Maybe I'm also hoping someone who prepares materials for the exam also passes by then? :wink: lol

I know what I signed; I just wasn't sure what constitutes "sharing information from the exam."

Thanks again to everyone for their input. Again, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the AM was harder than anticipated.

Back