Car guys - what do you think of this?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Meh. The owner tried too hard to make it a rat rod. Especially seeing at how rat rods are typically a COMPLETELY different type of car.

The whole "rat rod" thing is totally lost on me. I like the power train though.

Rat rod

377.jpg

ngnrd said:
I just puked a little in my mouth... Dude must have forgotten to take his anti-crazy pills for a couple of months.
A rat rod is a low buck, high power, the guts are more important than the skin, it ain't pretty but it works, backyard built street cruiser. That abomination is a high dollar, high power, trying to trade cash for street cred, artificially distressed, faux vintage modern coupe.

But, I didn't pay for it. And I don't have to look at it in my driveway. So, whatever. If that's what the dude wants to spend his money on, I suppose he can. Personally, I would have rather spent half of the cost of that build on hookers and bourbon and then just wasted the rest.
I agree with everything you wrote except for the last line. The money in the "build" would be the pruchase of the car and the performace upgrades which would yield this:

and a 1000HP street camaro would be pretty cool.

There's not much money invloved in destroying the nice finish to give it the "rat rod" look.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive looked into lower versions of these upgrades for my car(and know a few people who have done them) and to get everything up to the 1k hp mark, he spent at least $15k. This would include (at a minimum) upgraded rear differential, axle, transmission, supercharger, exhaust, and engine internals.

I was looking at doing a lower output SC (only 600 hp), and that was going to cost ~$8k because I wouldnt need to upgrade the rest of the drivetrain (its rated to ~650 hp).

A rat rod is a low buck, high power, the guts are more important than the skin, it ain't pretty but it works, backyard built street cruiser. That abomination is a high dollar, high power, trying to trade cash for street cred, artificially distressed, faux vintage modern coupe. - ngnrd

I agree! This looks like they trashed a good car to fake someone out. Definitely NOT "rat rod".

I think it looks like crap.

And 1000hp on the street is just silly. Why not just whip out a tape measure and settle the issue once and for all.

Congrats. He made the new Camaro uglier than it already is.

I personally would have painted it flat black. Limo-tint the windows, powder-coat the rims, then remove and/or buy custom painted emblems/badges/bowties.

The other, more preferred, way to do this would be to make a "ghost" racer: Strip it down to look like a base V6 model (different bumpers, basic wheels, etc), make it look as basic as possible.

ngnrd said:
I just puked a little in my mouth... Dude must have forgotten to take his anti-crazy pills for a couple of months.
A rat rod is a low buck, high power, the guts are more important than the skin, it ain't pretty but it works, backyard built street cruiser. That abomination is a high dollar, high power, trying to trade cash for street cred, artificially distressed, faux vintage modern coupe.

But, I didn't pay for it. And I don't have to look at it in my driveway. So, whatever. If that's what the dude wants to spend his money on, I suppose he can. Personally, I would have rather spent half of the cost of that build on hookers and bourbon and then just wasted the rest.
I agree with everything you wrote except for the last line. The money in the "build" would be the pruchase of the car and the performace upgrades which would yield this:

There's not much money invloved in destroying the nice finish to give it the "rat rod" look.
If that's yours, I want a ride and will pay for gas this weekend.

ngnrd said:

If that's yours, I want a ride and will pay for gas this weekend.
not mine and at $4/gallon I wouldn't want to pay for the gas to run thing.

Back