Can anyone help me answer this?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

civitech

Reaction score
Can anyone please help me with the answer and the reason for that.

thanks.

Problem 1: Transportation [P0408100039]

The most common reason a highway segment is subject to high accident rates is:

Ans:

A) inconsistent or confusing design

B) inadequate sight distance at intersections

C) steep grades and long hills approaching intersections

D) poor weather conditions

Another question:

Problem: Transportation

For a four-lane freeway with a 60 mph design speed and an average travel speed of 45 mph, what is the expected maximum flow rate (pcphpl)?

Ans:

1400 pcphpl 2100 pcphpl 1700 pcphpl 2800 pcphpl

I don't really know the answer to the questions... so please let me know if I'm right or wrong, but anyway, my guess is

1) inadequate sight distance at intersections - because i think most accidents occur at intersections that have conflicting moves in which involves pedestrians, bicylists, and other vehicles. If the sight distance to see this conflicts and obstructions is not adequate, then it will most likely result in an accident.

2. 1700 pcphpl - I didn't really calculate it, I'd just looked at the graph in Exhibit 12-1 for the average speed or the FFS of 45 mi/hr.

Well, that's what I think... what do you think?

For your second problem you probably could find the answer in CERM (I have 9-th edition) 74.13. There is a figure 74.4 speed-flow relationship. Also HCM has exibit 23-3 Speed-flow Curve and LOS Basic Freeway Segments. See if it helps. I think the answer is 1700. Correct me if I am wrong.

For the first question, I didn’t find the answer, my guess is “B”

For your second problem you probably could find the answer in CERM (I have 9-th edition) 74.13. There is a figure 74.4 speed-flow relationship. Also HCM has exibit 23-3 Speed-flow Curve and LOS Basic Freeway Segments. See if it helps. I think the answer is 1700. Correct me if I am wrong.
For the first question, I didn’t find the answer, my guess is “B”

I agree with your answer top the second questions B or 2100. Look at chart 21-2 of HCM.

The answer to the first question is A. It is in the AASHTO Design of Highways and Streets book.

Back