Calling All Home Theater Junkies...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Run from Bose kicking and screaming. It is 100% marketing, and has the worst price to performance ratio of all things audio.
We got a Bose iPod Series II deck from MIL for Christmas. It's a nice little package, but would NOT have spent my own money to buy it. Since it was a gift, I can't complain.
The little cutesy stuff like that, the radio, etc, are fine, albeit tremendously overpriced. It's when you get into the actual surround systems where "oh, a tiny cube can recreate what a full size range of drivers can" marketing comes into play that you really want to run. I've actually seen measured frequency response plots from Bose systems, and the frequency range that is actually omitted due to driver size and crossover points is truly staggering.
can you share those plots? Personally I like Bose products. Yes, simply due to brand recognition they are often quite overpriced but again I like the sound. I haven't seen any frequency response data (which is why I'd be interested in them). I understand that the intent from the beginning of Dr. Amir Bose was to make a product that is pleasing to the human ear and not necessarily to to produce an accurate representation of the actual sound source. Really, if one can't hear the difference then what does it matter? I like to see the Bose response data superimposed over the typical human ear response curve.

MA: Do a Google search for "Bose frequency response plots". It will likely come out near the top of the list (WebNazi won't let me open it at work, but you'll probably find a lengthy thread on the audioholics website). IIRC, the frequencies that weren't reproduced fell into the areas that the ear is most sensitive to - e.g., not the extended highs or just the sub 30hz stuff, but a significant portion of the midrange as well.

The problem with the "intent" of Bose is that it may have been the case in the 80's, where the speakers were far more substantial in both size and sound. The newest is pure marketing, e.g. have the customer stand in a 4x4 square of cubes with an 8 inch woofer on the floor bloating out midbass to generate oohs and ahhhs over "yes, I can hear noise all around me, this is great!" Rarely does anyone take the time to do an A/B comparison with even a mid-grade home theater system. If one can't hear the differences between them (and they're not subtle), then why fork over Bose bucks when you can duplicate the sound using a dirt cheap home theater in a box?

Supe: thanks for the reply.

Rarely does anyone take the time to do an A/B comparison with even a mid-grade home theater system. If one can't hear the differences between them (and they're not subtle), then why fork over Bose bucks when you can duplicate the sound using a dirt cheap home theater in a box?
very valid point. Cambridge Sounds Works is a great direct alternative to Bose stuff. They came out with a compact speaker system shorthly after Bose started pushing the cubes. CSW sounded just as good for ~1/2 the price.

If I had the money, space, and understanding wife in the ways of home theater goodness, I'd make my own for a fraction of even the fraction of Bose or any other manufacturer prices. It'd also be way more fun than opening a box to pre-made speakers. :D

Any of y'all have insight into HTPCs? I put together a build about a year ago for storing/playing movies, music, etc. but I'm having a hard time finding a playback software that I like. I've tried XBMC and Mediaportal but don't find them to be particularly user friendly, especially for the rest of my family who aren't particularly savvy when it comes to that sort of thing. Anybody have any recommendations on something more easily accessible?

Also, anyone have any recommendations on an HTPC remote that I don't have to blow the bank on (e.g. Harmony remotes)?

MA: And even then, most of the smaller competitor systems use separate tweeters and mids (heck, even decent cheapie computer speakers do that). From a physics standpoint, a 2.5" paper drive does a poor job of reproducing high frequencies like a dome tweeter would, and it doesn't have the surface area or excursion xmax capable of satisfactorily producing mid-low frequencies (sub 300hz range). Jack of some trades, master of none.

MS: If you're space limited, there is a relatively inexpensive project out there called the Overnight Sensations that are worth giving a look. There are a few guys out there that even sell the pre-cut flat pack enclosures for it. Small enough for spousal approval, infinite options to finish it, and there's little to nothing that can beat it at that price point.

Weeeeeelllllllllll...

1) With a 2-year old and mini-#2 on the way in t-minus 3 weeks, thall shalt not introduce more noise into the house.

2) No money

3) We don't watch TV much anyways

Any of y'all have insight into HTPCs? I put together a build about a year ago for storing/playing movies, music, etc. but I'm having a hard time finding a playback software that I like. I've tried XBMC and Mediaportal but don't find them to be particularly user friendly, especially for the rest of my family who aren't particularly savvy when it comes to that sort of thing. Anybody have any recommendations on something more easily accessible? Also, anyone have any recommendations on an HTPC remote that I don't have to blow the bank on (e.g. Harmony remotes)?
Have you looked at MediaBrowser at all? It's another more simple alternative to XBMC, though a lot of people like XBMC better due to plugin support, etc. It's based off Windows Media Player.

As far as remotes go, there are a number of touch screen offerings (including the Logitechs) that are now in the sub $300 range.

Any recommendations on a wall-mount for two 6.5" bookshelf speakers I have? Dimensions are 13" x 8-1/4" x 7-5/8" (appox. 9 lbs.). So far my research has pointed to B-tech or Pinpoint. I don't have experience with either of them though.

EDIT: so far this what I found: http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_1

They get good reviews, are sturdy and easy to install. And where I plan to mount them I wouldn't need to drill into the speaker housing (no pre-existing mounting holes) because it looks like the clamps are tight enough to hold them in place (with 0 deg. tilt). Would rather not muck up the speaker's nice exterior finish. Any suggestions are still welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any recommendations on a wall-mount for two 6.5" bookshelf speakers I have? Dimensions are 13" x 8-1/4" x 7-5/8" (appox. 9 lbs.). So far my research has pointed to B-tech or Pinpoint. I don't have experience with either of them though.

EDIT: so far this what I found: http://www.amazon.co.../ref=pd_sim_e_1

They get good reviews, are sturdy and easy to install. And where I plan to mount them I wouldn't need to drill into the speaker housing (no pre-existing mounting holes) because it looks like the clamps are tight enough to hold them in place (with 0 deg. tilt). Would rather not muck up the speaker's nice exterior finish. Any suggestions are still welcomed.
Sanus makes some OK stuff as well. My suggestion is to just stay away from the ball and socket type swivel mounts. Every one I've ever used has collapsed/sagged over time.

Sanus makes some OK stuff as well. My suggestion is to just stay away from the ball and socket type swivel mounts. Every one I've ever used has collapsed/sagged over time.
I did look at some Sanus stuff but the reviews weren't that great. I don't think the one I posted had a ball and socket type, did it? I plan on adjusting them so the speaker basically sits level.

Doesn't look like it, DK. The ones I like use serrations/ribs to lock them in at the angle you want. If you're having them sit level, have you considered just a shelf- type bracket?

If you're having them sit level, have you considered just a shelf- type bracket?
Any suggestions? Something sleek yet sturdy. Haven't really found anything that jumps out at me as being very reliable as a simple shelf-type.

If you're having them sit level, have you considered just a shelf- type bracket?
Any suggestions? Something sleek yet sturdy. Haven't really found anything that jumps out at me as being very reliable as a simple shelf-type.
Depends on your decor and the speker size. I'd look at some typical generic shelving and see if something fits your erquireemnts. It does not need to be "speaker shelving". Look at decorative shelf brackets and some finish wood. apply a nice router treatment to the exposed edge...done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your decor and the speker size. I'd look at some typical generic shelving and see if something fits your erquireemnts. It does not need to be "speaker shelving". Look at decorative shelf brackets and some finish wood. apply a nice router treatment to the exposed edge...done.
Thanks for the tip MA. The two speakers I am planning to mount are not small, the dimensions are 13" x 8-1/4" x 7-5/8" (appox. 9 lbs.). I will look into something that matches the black wood-grain finish of my Cerwins.

np. If only I could type. I put up some Bose 141 as rear speakers. I just used some metal "L" brackets from Lowes with a wood shelf that had a decorative treatment on the edge. cheap, and it worked just fine. The metal isn't the prettiest but then again neither is my basement (where they are).

Revived this thread for advice.

I've got an Optoma 7155 that is giving me grief. I had it on in our movie room, left for a while, came back and there was a distinct burnt plastic aroma and no picture. I just thought it was the lamp, as we've used the piss out of it in the last 4yrs. I yarded it off the cieling, ordered a new lamp assy., installed new one and it still wasn't showing anything. Took it back apart and found the new lamp front glass cracked when heated up, 99.9% sure I didn't touched it, bad from factory?, who knows. So I put the old lamp back in to rediagnos, there's light coming out of the projector housing and a faint beam out the lens, so old lamp seems to be working. If I walk the projector over to a wall, you can actually start to see a 6" square screen image at about a foot away.

I should have paid more attention in the first place. I remember it had an error (amber) LED light up, but I don't remember which one (Power, Lamp, Temp). Searched the webs last night, and Fixya.com popped up but is a bitch to find anything useful. Has anyone had experience in DIY projector fix'n?

Back