CALCULATORS

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got it. Sorry, another case of internet humor translating poorly.

I took 3 semesters of calc, and 1 of ODE.

Then in grad school I took a numeric methods class, which was pretty awesome. It's the long hand way behind all the math that Excel and MathCAD uses.

If you want to get into PDE and Fourier, or LaPlace stuff, ask my fiance. She's getting a PhD in medical imaging, and apparently that shit is important. :dunno:

Ya my degree is pretty strange. I the subject list is pretty long. I really enjoyed the math in school, and even contemplated math as a profession. No work though. If your intrested check out a book Ttitles "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" it is about the derivation of several equations we use everyday. Pretty intresting stuff.

It's interesting to read the different comments on the calculator policy. One important consideration is that the test must be adjusted to the calculator policy. Lower functioning calculators = less difficult equations on test.

I purchased an HP33s for the exam and started using it for everything about six months prior to the exam. I found that I had to take my trusty old 48gx home in order to avoid relapses while at work.

I also programed tons of curve equations into the calculator but never even used them on the exam. IMHO you could easily complete the CE Trans exam with a basic $9 calculator (assuming you have y^x capability).

My 2 cents

I think it sucks that the HP48 got banned. I have been using HP calculators since the introduction of the HP-35 back in 1973 [$400 bucks, in 1973 dollars...it came with the revolutionary y^x and xth root of y keys!].

I still have two HP48s, including the one that got me through EE at Ohio U. I had to buy that stupid HP33 for the EE professional exam last April, and it sucks. A great leap backwards by HP.

If I get permission to take the Civil PE exam next Spring, I'm bring a couple of slide rules with me, just to whack out the proctors.

Which begs the question...how many of you were taught how to extract the square root of a number by hand with pencil and paper? No logarithms allowed!

"Kickin' it old school"...Timmy!

I didnt think the calculator I could use or not use hurt me on the exam. I dont think there were really any functions that my TI-86 had that my 33s didnt have that I was like, "damn I cant do this now". However, I have a couple of old cheap calcs. that I use in the field that I am very used to. Not really a big deal, but I did a lot of hitting what used to be enter and accidentally hitting +. I used my 33s throughout my studying so I got over that. If anything, they should tell you what calcs. you can't use instead of what you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
The familiarity that comes with my TI-86 is what I would like to have during the exam. And the unit conversion properties of the calculator.

I think I either messed up the answers on my scan tron sheet or I feel for the wrong units on the answers. I believe I failed for one of those reasons, and if I had my TI-86 it would not have been because of units.

I had 'marked' problems that I felt I got easily, and they would have been enough to pass. Since I didn't pass, I'll assume I missed those questions that I felt I knew.

I know it's partially my fault because of lack of preparation, and I bought a TI-36X about 3 weeks before the exam. I will be VERY familiar with that calc by October. Thats for sure.

I can guaruntee you that the HP 32SII is less capable than the HP 33S for stealing exam questions, but yet, it is not allowed????
How many people were in the room with you taking the exam? 200? 300? Can you imagine if everyone of them had a different calculator that "is less capable than the HP 33S" and felt like they should be able to use it? Having the proctors check each calculator to ensure it was ok would take all day! Especially when the proctors are not techincal people.

I don't like the calculator policy either. You should be able to use a calculator that you are used to. It's a shame that some people feel the need to cheat and it results in penalizing everyone else. That being said, I don't know what else can be done. Seems to be about as fair as you can be........

I would think if we publicily banned, criminally charged, made an example out of the people from the profession who were caught selling exam questions, or distributing them after the fact ,that would be enough of a deterent. but I guess not.

I have put my 48 away for another 4 months...

What would you have them charged with?

I can see someone being caught cheating/violating rules being banned from taking the test again for some period of time. I've read about this happening.

Mike in Gastonia, I agree it is about as fair as it can be.  I am just disgruntled because I failed, and I am looking for a scapegoat other than myself, so the natural impulse is to blame the calculator policy, my boss (for making me work when i would prefer to study), and my family (for making me spend time with them rather than study).  Bottom line is that I just need to accept the fact that I can't change what I can't change and focus on improving my study skills.
But damn it sure is nice to vent.... my wife issued a cease and desist order against me venting to her.
No problems.... We'll just treat you like a woman. We'll listen to you but not try to fix the problem. :D

duck.gif

Mike in Gastonia, I agree it is about as fair as it can be.? I am just disgruntled because I failed, and I am looking for a scapegoat other than myself, so the natural impulse is to blame the calculator policy, my boss (for making me work when i would prefer to study), and my family (for making me spend time with them rather than study).? Bottom line is that I just need to accept the fact that I can't change what I can't change and focus on improving my study skills.
But damn it sure is nice to vent.... my wife issued a cease and desist order against me venting to her.
No problems.... We'll just treat you like a woman. We'll listen to you but not try to fix the problem. :D

duck.gif
hahahahaha :rotfl: that was by far the funiest thing written in the board

Thanks!!

How many people were in the room with you taking the exam? 200? 300? Can you imagine if everyone of them had a different calculator that "is less capable than the HP 33S" and felt like they should be able to use it? Having the proctors check each calculator to ensure it was ok would take all day! Especially when the proctors are not techincal people.
I don't like the calculator policy either. You should be able to use a calculator that you are used to. It's a shame that some people feel the need to cheat and it results in penalizing everyone else. That being said, I don't know what else can be done. Seems to be about as fair as you can be........
Point well made. We all probably see that, but like Sapper said. WE NEED TO BIATCH ABOUT SOMETHING!!!!!!!

:D

I think we should all at least email NCEES /ELS and ask if they would add a "very cheap" backup type calculator to (the approved list) to be allowed to bring in with you also. Something in the $5.00 range in the even something happens to your primary one. I brought in extra batteries for my HP 33S but I imagine even the HP 33's are made in India by some 7 year old for one dollar a day, so they can break.

Did anyone by the HP 33 with all the equations stored in it? I figured the time I would waste learning how to use them wouldnt be worth the effort. I stored one drainage equation in the event you needed to solve for more than 2 unknowns, but I dont recall using it, you have 4 choices its easier to just plug and chug each answer.

I got mine for only $15. Hence, I bought two to have a backup.

I got a Casio 115-MS.

I like the TI graphing calculators, but not the regular scientific ones. Never tried a HP.

I used a HP-9S calculator, which cost less than $15. I took the EE - Power exam, so it did everything I needed. I did not bring a backup calculator but did buy some spare batteries. I never used batteries, so I returned them the next day for a refund.

I gotta say the HP-48G used to kick arse when it came to solving simultaneous equations. Using the Reduced Row Echelon Form (RREF) function came in handy innumerable times. :true:

Latest posts

Back