Calculator Usage for rescheduled exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egdad4

Registered Civil Engineer
Reaction score
Quoted from Prometric's Candidate Information Bulletin on calculator usage on a link to Prometric on the Board's e-mail to me:

"You are limited to two (2) calculators in the exam testing area. The calculators

allowed to be used for the Board’s state-specific examinations include (but are not

limited to) the HP 39 series; the HP 41 series; the HP42S; the HP 48 series; the

HP 49 series; the HP 50 series; the TI 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89 series; the Casio

CFX 9850; the Casio FX 7400; the Casio FX 9750; and the Casio FX 2.0. Calculator

cases are not allowed into the testing area."

I called my nearest test center to clarify this statement and I was told that the Casio FX115ES ( which I was to use for the cancelled exam as it was on the NCEES list) is not on their list and therefore not allowed.

Has anyone heard anything different? Or do we have to go buy and learn to used efficiently before the test date, new calculators?

eg,

You should be able to use the State's Calc Policy for State-Specific Exams which is basically anything that doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard.

http://www.pels.ca.gov/applicants/calculator.shtml

What's weird is the quote you provided above is nearly identical to the paragraph at the bottom of the state's page linked above, modified a little. What they removed was the part that basically stated in addition to the NCEES approved calculators, these calculators may also be used...

"I called my nearest test center to clarify this statement and I was told that the Casio FX115ES (which I was to use for the cancelled exam as it was on the NCEES list) is not on their list and therefore not allowed."

This doesn't make sense because there is no list. There is a partial list but it clearly states "is not limited too". Again, I think you're fine adhering to the state's policy which includes the FX115.

The calculator policy is the same as it as been for several years. The ones listed are only examples which is why it states "...but not limited to". Prometric staff are required to follow the same policies.

Talking to CBT centers right now is not going to help you as they are administering many other exams. Refer to the Candidate Information Bulletin that was priovided to all eligible candidates and follow those policies.

Ric Moore

I find the Board policy on calculators, as written to be very vague.

FX115 is a very very common model, infact PPI2PASS offers a training seminar on just how to use this particular calcualtor. I think the policy should include this particular model, in the list of example calculators allowed along with the TI-30X ones, for clarification. Or all example models should be removed, and it should just say

"The use of any calculating/computing device having a QWERTY keypad arrangement similar to a typewriter or a keyboard during the exam is strictly prohibited. The following devices are also prohibited, whether or not they have a QWERTY keypad function: palmtop, laptop, handheld or desktop computers, data banks, data collectors, personal data assistants (PDA), and organizers. Calculators with other alphanumeric keypads are acceptable"

CBT centers will always be adminstering many other tests; the fact that they don't have a handle on the policy right now worries me greatly.

I hope that on the day of the test, noone is sent home because their calculator was rejected, when infact it was an authozied one.

maybe this whole process has made me a very negative person..

Understood. Originally, only the QWERTY language was stated and the Board added the examples in response to inquiries just like this, and rather than attempt to list every single type of calculator that candidates were comfortable with using, the Board provided the most common ones as observed.

It has been our experience that NCEES calculator policies are generally more restrictive than the Board's calculator policies and barring any unforeseen new technology, expect that any calculator approved for NCEES would be acceptable for use at a California state exam.

Ric Moore

eg,

You should be able to use the State's Calc Policy for State-Specific Exams which is basically anything that doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard.

http://www.pels.ca.g...alculator.shtml

What's weird is the quote you provided above is nearly identical to the paragraph at the bottom of the state's page linked above, modified a little. What they removed was the part that basically stated in addition to the NCEES approved calculators, these calculators may also be used...
That was what caught my attention, the fact that the reference to the " in addition to NCEES list" was dropped. That made me call my proposed test center to enquire whether my Casio FX 115ES was allowed and the person replied that it was not on the calculator usage bulletin I guess she was just reading from the same bulletin.

I am waiting to get a response from Prometric HQ as to what is really required as I called them to clarify the issue as I don't want to be turned away at the test center for having an unapproved calculator and don't really have the time to start learning how to use a new calculator.

egdad4 - maybe you were typing your response the same time I was, as I just responded to the requirements above yours.

Ric Moore

Executive Officer

Board for Professional Engineers,

Land Surveyors, and Geologists

I think egdad is making a very important point. I have included the text from the calculator policies below. The first is from Prometric and the second from the CA board. The part that is missing is that the CA board allows the same calculators that NCEES allows, plus the ones listed. However, that little tidbit seems to be missing from Prometric's information. The result of this is surely to be that the Prometric staff (which will be new to administering this exam) will look at the rules absolutely. They won't see the NCEES calculators listed (TI30X, etc), and will say "well, its not on the list, so you cant use it." I promise you this will happen.

Two (2) calculators in the exam testing area. The calculators

allowed to be used for the Board’s state-specific examinations include (but are not

limited to) the HP 39 series; the HP 41 series; the HP42S; the HP 48 series; the

HP 49 series; the HP 50 series; the TI 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89 series; the Casio

CFX 9850; the Casio FX 7400; the Casio FX 9750; and the Casio FX 2.0. Calculator

cases are not allowed into the testing area.

The use of any calculating/computing device having a QWERTY keypad

arrangement similar to a typewriter or a keyboard during the exam is strictly

prohibited. The following devices are also prohibited, whether or not they have a

QWERTY keypad function: palmtop, laptop, handheld or desktop computers, data

banks, data collectors, personal data assistants (PDA), and organizers. Calculators

with other alphanumeric keypads are acceptable. Notwithstanding the above, the

Board or its designees have the right to prohibit the use of any device that, in the

opinion of the Board, may pose a threat to exam security.

It should be noted that the Board's calculator policy for its state-specific examinations varies significantly from the NCEES calculator policy for the national examinations. For its state-specific examinations, the Board does allow the use of some calculators that NCEES prohibits for its national examinations. The calculators allowed to be used for the Board's state-specific examinations that are prohibited for the NCEES national examinations include (but are not limited to) the HP 39 series; the HP 41 series; the HP42S; the HP 48 series; the HP 49 series; the HP 50 series; the TI 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89 series; the Casio CFX 9850; the Casio FX 7400; the Casio FX 9750; and the Casio FX 2.0.

I think egdad is making a very important point. I have included the text from the calculator policies below. The first is from Prometric and the second from the CA board. The part that is missing is that the CA board allows the same calculators that NCEES allows, plus the ones listed. However, that little tidbit seems to be missing from Prometric's information. The result of this is surely to be that the Prometric staff (which will be new to administering this exam) will look at the rules absolutely. They won't see the NCEES calculators listed (TI30X, etc), and will say "well, its not on the list, so you cant use it." I promise you this will happen.

Two (2) calculators in the exam testing area. The calculators

cases are not allowed into the testing area.

The use of any calculating/computing device having a QWERTY keypad

arrangement similar to a typewriter or a keyboard during the exam is strictly

prohibited. The following devices are also prohibited, whether or not they have a

QWERTY keypad function: palmtop, laptop, handheld or desktop computers, data

banks, data collectors, personal data assistants (PDA), and organizers. Calculators

with other alphanumeric keypads are acceptable. Notwithstanding the above, the

Board or its designees have the right to prohibit the use of any device that, in the

opinion of the Board, may pose a threat to exam security.

It should be noted that the Board's calculator policy for its state-specific examinations varies significantly from the NCEES calculator policy for the national examinations. For its state-specific examinations, the Board does allow the use of some calculators that NCEES prohibits for its national examinations. The calculators allowed to be used for the Board's state-specific examinations that are prohibited for the NCEES national examinations include (but are not limited to) the HP 39 series; the HP 41 series; the HP42S; the HP 48 series; the HP 49 series; the HP 50 series; the TI 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 89 series; the Casio CFX 9850; the Casio FX 7400; the Casio FX 9750; and the Casio FX 2.0.
bk, your concerns have already been addressed above. You'll be fine if you bring a calculator which meets the state's current policy. Good luck on the exam.

Back