Calculate Short Circuit Current

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vdubEE

Reaction score
Another question revolving a Complex Imaginary problem. The problem statement is:

part0.jpg

The problem I have is that they add the PU impedance of the transformer to the line (including the j) instead of just adding the two PU values together. I have solved it two other ways and got the same answer but wanted to make sure I was not wrong on just adding the two numbers and ignoring the j.

Part1.jpg

Again, any input is appreciated!

You're not really ignoring the j. The unwritten assumption is that the transformer impedance is nearly all reactive (Very high X/R value) and that the angles are both close enough to 90o that the resistance component of the transformer impedance will not materially affect the answer.

I would have the following critique of the problem though: They really should tell you the base MVA for the line impedance. it's probably safe to assume it's on a 20 MVA base due to the transformer but if you're going to use pu values, the base values need to be spelled out prominently somewhere.

Flyer,

So their solution is incorrect and the two solutions I came up with are correct? I understand what you said about the j and that is why I solved it like I did. Just wanted to make sure I was not missing a concept somewhere. Thanks!

I agree about the problem statement but it seems CI has quite a bit of problems with this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question revolving a Complex Imaginary problem. The problem statement is:

part0.jpg

The problem I have is that they add the PU impedance of the transformer to the line (including the j) instead of just adding the two PU values together. I have solved it two other ways and got the same answer but wanted to make sure I was not wrong on just adding the two numbers and ignoring the j.

Part1.jpg

Again, any input is appreciated!
---------------------------------------

Base MVA =20

Base kV (low side)=22

Base Current= 20 * 10^3 /(sqrt(3)*22)=524.86 A

Now I(pu)= 1/(0.06+0.072)=7.58 pu

I(fault)= 7.58*524.86=3976 A.

Simply calculate the PU current and multiply by base current.

Thanks,

Back