CA Surveying Exam - Spring 2017

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys. Regarding the Seismic/Survey exams being computer based, I have some serious concerns. Due to some vision difficulties (I'd rather not go into details here), I am not able to see "black" color on the screens; yes that is right - I see light gray. I really HOPE to be able to take the two state exams on paper, at least I see the black color as dark gray on paper. Currently I am using a 22 inch screen for my computer, and I had to significantly lower the resolution (to 1366 * 768), which means that everything (including fonts) are much larger on my screen, so that I can at least barely read the light gray fronts. I dont think I can get the same screen on the exams (I am not and dont want to be considered a disabled person). Even if I get a large screen and am able to "customize" the resolution, font size, etc, which I doubt is possible easily, the issue still remains: I CANNOT SEE BLACK FONTS. Sometimes, on my large screen, I have to read the materials more than once, so that my eyes can focus better on that is being read, and often times I lose track of where I was looking at on the screen simply because everything is FUZZY, LIGHT GRAY and NOT SHARP. Anyways, I DO NEED / HOPE to take the exams on paper, and I am afraid of failing, although I am spending lots of time and EFFORTS to prep for the exams. Please advise, thanks...
This is likely not something a forum member can help you with.  This sounds like a serious concern that you should definitely take to the State Board.  I would hope they have special accommodation testing  for people in your situation.  But, again, I would definitely contact the Board to enquire about special testing situations and how to schedule such a special test.  Best of luck. 

Hello guys. Regarding the Seismic/Survey exams being computer based, I have some serious concerns. Due to some vision difficulties (I'd rather not go into details here), I am not able to see "black" color on the screens; yes that is right - I see light gray. I really HOPE to be able to take the two state exams on paper, at least I see the black color as dark gray on paper. Currently I am using a 22 inch screen for my computer, and I had to significantly lower the resolution (to 1366 * 768), which means that everything (including fonts) are much larger on my screen, so that I can at least barely read the light gray fronts. I dont think I can get the same screen on the exams (I am not and dont want to be considered a disabled person). Even if I get a large screen and am able to "customize" the resolution, font size, etc, which I doubt is possible easily, the issue still remains: I CANNOT SEE BLACK FONTS. Sometimes, on my large screen, I have to read the materials more than once, so that my eyes can focus better on that is being read, and often times I lose track of where I was looking at on the screen simply because everything is FUZZY, LIGHT GRAY and NOT SHARP. Anyways, I DO NEED / HOPE to take the exams on paper, and I am afraid of failing, although I am spending lots of time and EFFORTS to prep for the exams. Please advise, thanks...
Hi robert.easylife, when approved candidates receive the email from Prometric providing instructions for how to schedule for the two California Civil Engineering exams, there will be included information for special accommodations that can be set up with Prometric in accordance with BPELSG's requirements.  You will need to provide medical documentation to support your request so you might as well gather that information now.  However, I will say at this point that the exam will not be provided on paper.  What can be requested is additional examination time.  I know that many, if not all, of the Prometric CBT centers have a station or two set aside for special accommodations so you may also want to inquire as to whether larger monitors are available or if the screen resolution can be set such that it is easier for you to read.

Hi robert.easylife, when approved candidates receive the email from Prometric providing instructions for how to schedule for the two California Civil Engineering exams, there will be included information for special accommodations that can be set up with Prometric in accordance with BPELSG's requirements.  You will need to provide medical documentation to support your request so you might as well gather that information now.  However, I will say at this point that the exam will not be provided on paper.  What can be requested is additional examination time.  I know that many, if not all, of the Prometric CBT centers have a station or two set aside for special accommodations so you may also want to inquire as to whether larger monitors are available or if the screen resolution can be set such that it is easier for you to read.
Thanks CAPLS for this information... Larger screen and adjustable screen resolution will certainly help, but I will be reading slowly and probably with one finger on the screen (so I won't get lost where I am on the question). This will slow me down for sure, plus I cant focus very good on what I read as my priority is not focusing, but just to be able to read first. Can I provide my medical records from 3 years ago? Because I stopped trusting medical doctors and did not really see doctors since 2014. Otherwise I will need to go to very special ophthalmologists and that will be expensive, etc. Thanks @CAPLS for your help..

Thanks CAPLS for this information... Larger screen and adjustable screen resolution will certainly help, but I will be reading slowly and probably with one finger on the screen (so I won't get lost where I am on the question). This will slow me down for sure, plus I cant focus very good on what I read as my priority is not focusing, but just to be able to read first. Can I provide my medical records from 3 years ago? Because I stopped trusting medical doctors and did not really see doctors since 2014. Otherwise I will need to go to very special ophthalmologists and that will be expensive, etc. Thanks @CAPLS for your help..
I hope CAPLS can give you more guidance. However, I think you should contact the CA Board immediately and talk to someone about the medical records. Is it possible to get a doctor's recommendation without spending a lot of money but just fees for one consultation? I am thinking about $100 or so... It is a burden, but given your situation, an updated medical report maybe be a safer bet just in case... You are investing a lot of your time  to prepare for the exam and don't want to be hindered because some one in Prometric thought your med records were old.

Good luck.

You are investing a lot of your time  to prepare for the exam and don't want to be hindered because some one in Prometric thought your med records were old.
Thanks, good advice. As much as i don't want to give any one dollar to any ophthalmologists anymore, but I may need to in this case.

When you are provided with the information to schedule for the exam, I would suggest you call Prometric using the phone number provided, and request special accommodations.  Be prepared to provide whatever medical records you have to support your request so Prometric can make the most appropriate decision as it relates to BPELSG requirements.  If you are not satisfied with Prometric's decision, then AND ONLY THEN contact BPELSG seeking assistance.

Does anyone have any pdf notes from a prep course or anything to help prepare for the CA surveying exam? I bought the 120 solved problems book, but was hoping to find some good notes to go through.

Back