CA Specific Exams

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who passed Surveying, what review course did you take? I took Mansour and did not like it very much. Anything similar to Hiner for Surveying? Congrats to all those who passed!

For those who passed Surveying, what review course did you take? I took Mansour and did not like it very much. Anything similar to Hiner for Surveying? Congrats to all those who passed!
I took EET for Surveying and passed so I would naturally recommend them.  However, I did have Mansour's book and practice exams with me so I could work out more problems.

I studied for my PLS National this June and all that information carried over for the State Surveying Exam on Civil, I didn't even have to study. I used the Surveyors Reference Manual by PPI and the Jan Van Sickle 1001 Engineering Problems Solved (I believe it is called something else now on PPI). 

I recommend Civil PE Surveying Review. I've passed with it and other co-workers that I've recommended the course to have all passed with it. It is a bit pricey but the course has straight forward videos and CBT practice exams that are similar to the real exam. 

I passed and took School of PE for surveying but I would not recommend it.  I think the Surveying Reference Manual + Practice exams would be better. 

See previous posts on notifying the Board on passing the national exam.  Just a few up.
So i've notified the board 2 weeks ago about my PE test and now that i have also passed the both exams, should i just kick back and wait to hear from the board ?

I took the national exam in Nevada to take it prior to the 2 years experience, passed. I don't think I took any steps to specifically notify the board that I passed the national exam when I had applied for the CA specific exams. I did speak with people and filled out my application with my NCEES ID and stated that I took the national exam in Nevada, though.

I've passed the last of my exams (Survey last round, Seismic this round). I followed @CAPLS's direction and sent of the notice of successful national examination along with all the "proof" that I passed the 3 exams just in case. NCEES provided a verifiable link for the national exam that was very useful here.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any steps I was missing to make sure that the process is streamlined. I believe I did need to do but I am not 100% sure. 

I took the national exam in Nevada to take it prior to the 2 years experience, passed. I don't think I took any steps to specifically notify the board that I passed the national exam when I had applied for the CA specific exams. I did speak with people and filled out my application with my NCEES ID and stated that I took the national exam in Nevada, though.

I've passed the last of my exams (Survey last round, Seismic this round). I followed @CAPLS's direction and sent of the notice of successful national examination along with all the "proof" that I passed the 3 exams just in case. NCEES provided a verifiable link for the national exam that was very useful here.

I was wondering if anyone knew if there were any steps I was missing to make sure that the process is streamlined. I believe I did need to do but I am not 100% sure. 
When you originally applied to the California Board as you stated, you should have requested a verification be sent form Nevada to California.  You may have or what you have described may have taken care of it.  Based on what you have stated, you should be okay with this licensing round, but you may want to contact the Board to check.

@CAPLS

I am in California. I passed the 8 hour Civil WRE and Survey for October 2017. Should I send in a "Notice of Successful National Examination" right now or should I wait until I pass Seismic?

When you originally applied to the California Board as you stated, you should have requested a verification be sent form Nevada to California.  You may have or what you have described may have taken care of it.  Based on what you have stated, you should be okay with this licensing round, but you may want to contact the Board to check.
Thanks for the info. I was told by Susan Christ that the CA board just uses the NCEES ID to verify it themselves, so I didn't send a request. I sent one via NCEES just now just in case.

I called CA board but I was met with a voicemail so I'll wait for a confirmation there. At the home stretch.. 

CAPLS, I have a question that I can't seem to find on this site or in the Board's emails.  I passed the 8 hr exam and surveying in April and just passed the seismic.  Is there anything I have to do further, or does the Board handle everything from here?  Thanks for all your info.
I'm in your exact same situation...am I supposed to just wait now???

Help anyone? -_-

Good question...when you received your national exam results from NCEES, there should had been a 'Next Step' choice that would had linked to more information, presumably on the Board's website (which ever Board you registered for at NCEES), and which would have included a link to a notification form.  Submitting this to the California Board tells the Board that you passed the national exam portion so they can update their database with that information.  If you have now met all the criteria for licensing in California, your account will then be flagged for licensing.  That form can be found at http://www.bpelsg.ca.gov/applicants/board_notification_form.pdf
I noticed this form only lists the tests for 8 hour and surveying....so if I passed seismic as my last test, I don't need to submit this form?

@CAPLS Thank you very much for your responsiveness, patience, and good humor on this board. 

Regarding the notification form, I would like to clarify the address of record - I have changed locations with my company and would like to have any physical correspondence mailed to the new address - can the new address be used as the address of record or should I use the original address from the application?

I noticed this form only lists the tests for 8 hour and surveying....so if I passed seismic as my last test, I don't need to submit this form?
If you read the form correctly, you will notice that it is for the NCEES Principles and Practice of Surveying exam, not the CA state specific surveying exam. Therefore, per what @CAPLS has already said, sit back and relax, and wait to hear from BPELSG. Check the database for your name if you'd like, in the mean time.

Back