CA results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why on earth do they hand stuff envelopes. This is the 21st century. get with the times California.

I just read the blog on the PPI website and there was a guy who called around 12:45 and they were still trying to get them out today.
2:20pm, yes, we are still trying to get them out today. That includes hand stuffing approximately 12,000 business size envelopes with the result letters.
Great! Just do not over rush yourself, we do not want to receive another applicant's results. Twelve-thousand letters is a large amount of letters to stuff in one day. I would offer my services but that would be a conflict of interest under the California Code. :D

With huge budget crisis in CA - 12000 * 0.44cents for stamps = $5,280 could have been saved by a simple email to notify.

I just read the blog on the PPI website and there was a guy who called around 12:45 and they were still trying to get them out today.
2:20pm, yes, we are still trying to get them out today. That includes hand stuffing approximately 12,000 business size envelopes with the result letters.
Just out of curiosity - Do we get the certificate in the same envelope ??
Unfortunately, no, another governmental process. Certificates are printed, stuffed and mailed by yet a third agency, that is contracted through our parent agency, Department of Consumer Affairs. That third agency, gets our data then rolls that into their mass production with the other 100's of thousands of other certificates, licenses, etc issued by hundreds of other CA state agencies that issue licenses/registrations etc. So....could be three - four weeks for an actual wall certificate.

The good news? Once a license number is issued and posted to our "license lookup" you can practice using that number. Check here:

http://www2.dca.ca.gov/pls/wllpub/wllqryna...e_pgm_code=7500

and...when it states "updated Monday - Friday", they mean Monday night at midnight.

If the mail goes out today, I would guess Tuesday midnight, since we do not update our own records.

Best of luck.
It would be greatly appreciated if you would let us know if you mail out the result today (also if you don't).
Chill. I found it fascinating that someone from the board has taken a few minutes to respond to our inquiries. You do not get that type of service anywhere else. Worse case scenario. They do not finish stuffing the envelopes today, but should be finished by Monday. Results should be out to Southern California by Wednesday. The end to this saga is near.

With huge budget crisis in CA - 12000 * 0.44cents for stamps = $5,280 could have been saved by a simple email to notify.
There can't be a better reason to email notify. They would save a boat load of money on paper as well. 12000 letters (18000 pages, est), plus 12000 envelopes, stamps, and everyone who is stuffing hours spent. It probably tips the scales at close to $20k after it's all said and done. They could invest that money into their second class website.

There can't be a better reason to email notify. They would save a boat load of money on paper as well. 12000 letters (18000 pages, est), plus 12000 envelopes, stamps, and everyone who is stuffing hours spent. It probably tips the scales at close to $20k after it's all said and done. They could invest that money into their second class website.
I'd like too, if we had control of our IT systems, it is not maintained by us, and we are unable to run up to Frys and buy off the counter software (even if we could, we have no administrative rights to install it!!). Our IT system lacks that capability described above and explaining the innerworkings of the government procurement process for IT hardware/software would take multiple volumes. There are approximately 42 licensing boards in California that depend on IT support through the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), and that agency has total control for the purchasing of hardware/software of IT support for us boards. Imagine trying to design one-system fits all for Cosmetologists, Nurses, Engineers and Doctors, etc for testing and licensing requirements, then justifying the need for change to a fiscal control agency, then the legislature then the Governor's office in a $25 billion defecit year, when services to senior citizens, disabled, veterans and children might be routinely cut. The last update of this IT system was 1982 (approximately); yes, that is not a typo. The upside is that the DCA has submitted a request through the budget process to revamp the computer system, which, if approved, by the time bidding occurs, is probably still three years away.

Welcome to my world.

I'd like too, if we had control of our IT systems, it is not maintained by us, and we are unable to run up to Frys and buy off the counter software (even if we could, we have no administrative rights to install it!!). Our IT system lacks that capability described above and explaining the innerworkings of the government procurement process for IT hardware/software would take multiple volumes. There are approximately 42 licensing boards in California that depend on IT support through the Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA), and that agency has total control for the purchasing of hardware/software of IT support for us boards. Imagine trying to design one-system fits all for Cosmetologists, Nurses, Engineers and Doctors, etc for testing and licensing requirements, then justifying the need for change to a fiscal control agency, then the legislature then the Governor's office in a $25 billion defecit year, when services to senior citizens, disabled, veterans and children might be routinely cut. The last update of this IT system was 1982 (approximately); yes, that is not a typo. The upside is that the DCA has submitted a request through the budget process to revamp the computer system, which, if approved, by the time bidding occurs, is probably still three years away.

Welcome to my world.
Cool. Thanks for keeping the masses informed. I mean that.

July 16, 2010, at 4:26 pm, 16 buckets of exam results were picked up by the US POST office, pre-postmarked for delivery.

Good luck and Please don't start calling on Monday looking for your results...Give the mail some time, and the license lookup too.

July 16, 2010, at 4:26 pm, 16 buckets of exam results were picked up by the US POST office, pre-postmarked for delivery.
Good luck and Please don't start calling on Monday looking for your results...Give the mail some time, and the license lookup too.
AMEN! God bless you for keeping us posted!

Good luck everybody....for SoCAL, have a crazy weekend before you might get back to the books!

Not interested - but still responding - interesting - you must be a bit confused. Anyway I take that you have had this conversation with the board - or are we still talking about your presumptions and research you did 5 years ago???
This post is sort of boring. But thank goodness you're no longer asking me if I'm married. That was, well, a little creepy.

By the way, when I say over the last 10 administrations of the exam, that implies something a little more recent than 5 years ago. Dating back five years, yes, but my current observation is up to the last administration. It is neither presumption nor research (unless you can call casual observation research).

Anyway, if Mr. CAPELS is really with the board, and I suspect he is, I think I've likely been vindicated on the license database issue. If not, we'll see in a few more days.

To pass the time until then, why not share some more of those nasty little middle-school acronyms you were coming up with earlier? Those were classics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per CAPELS:

"Results mailed today 7.16.10, from Sacramento, CA. Post Office picked up pre-stamped, 16 buckets of CA results. Good luck and please don't start calling Monday looking for your results. Give the mail some time. Thanks. "

This post has been edited by CAPELS: Yesterday, 11:53 PM

Not interested - but still responding - interesting - you must be a bit confused. Anyway I take that you have had this conversation with the board - or are we still talking about your presumptions and research you did 5 years ago???
This post is sort of boring. But thank goodness you're no longer asking me if I'm married. That was, well, a little creepy.

By the way, when I say over the last 10 administrations of the exam, that implies something a little more recent than 5 years ago. Dating back five years, yes, but my current observation is up to the last administration. It is neither presumption nor research (unless you can call casual observation research).

Anyway, if Mr. CAPELS is really with the board, and I suspect he is, I think I've likely been vindicated on the license database issue. If not, we'll see in a few more days.

To pass the time until then, why not share some more of those nasty little middle-school acronyms you were coming up with earlier? Those were classics.
I have never asked if you were married and I really don't care if you are. I must say you seem like a sorry excuse for an engineer. So why don't you continue your misquotations but trust me I have no interest in your personal life.

I have never asked if you were married and I really don't care if you are. I must say you seem like a sorry excuse for an engineer. So why don't you continue your misquotations but trust me I have no interest in your personal life.

I truly hope you are single. BTW Benbo your last name wouldn't have to be Slot???
Hmmm. Okay, technically you didn't ask. You showed your lack of concern for my personal life by hoping

I am single.

But that's unimportant really.

I see now you have switched your childish insults away from the CA licensing board into a comment about my ability as an engineer. Classy. About the same type of thing, because you know absolutely nothing about either subject (my abilities or the operation of the board), but still blast off.

Please, some more snappy little acronyms about CABPELS. Those are just so astoundingly clever.

I am going to make a serious comment about why this annoys me, and then I'm done with this tedious exchange-

If you are going to insult a group of people processing your exam results by making up insulting acronyms, you should at least try to find out the constraints they work under. Does it ever occur to you that these individuals might be equally frustrated, and they might also possibly read your comments? As I suggested earlier, you might be able to do this by attending Public Meetings of the Board, but you didn't seem interested. And you should at least attempt to direct the comments at the guilty party.

People constantly complain about the CA board, and I understand the board takes a long time. I didn't like it when I got my exam results. And they should probably be more forthcoming with explanations, as CAPELS has been here (which is why this thread will hopefully get pinned). But I know they are a government agency, I assumed they were frustrated with the process themselves, and I know there are methods to actually try to bring about a change if you really care.

Finally, what are we talking about here? A few weeks? It's frustrating but not the end of the world. You are pretty lucky if you work somewhere without having to deal with delays.

In a lot of states you can't even take the exam the exam until you have four or more years experience. In CA you can sit for this test with 2 years experience, 1 year if you have a masters. But you almost never hear anybody in the other states complaining about that.

If you guys got the mail or found your name on License Lookup, please post....Thanks!

:please:

If you guys got the mail or found your name on License Lookup, please post....Thanks!:please:
It didn't make today's mail in Fountain Valley (Orange County), may be Monday is the day!
I am in San Diego, last October San Diego and Orange County got it the same day, ie 2 mailing days after. I didn't expect mine until Monday...but getting some nervous on Licence Lookup which was updated Friday 16th and didn't say my name. Might be an automatic update of the date each Friday....

Thanks, best of luck Monday!

Back