CA Civil PE practicing structural engineering...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinChez

Reaction score
I am licensed in NY and CA as a PE (took Civil test - structural emphasis). My entire experience is structural engineering for buildings in NY. There is no SE designation in NY but everyone uses the term "Structural Engineer".

In CA I recently lost a job because the appraisal company wanted a structural engineer, not a civil, to do the inspection. It was for a residential house.

How do you market yourself as a structural engineer if you are a Civil PE?

Unfortunately California is one of the special states where they have specifically and explicitly separated Civil & Structural. More states are going or have already gone this route, especially on the West coast where earthquakes are prevalent. Seismic design is not adequately covered in the Civil-Structural PE exam.

Personally, I fall into similar shoes as I took the Civil PE with structural emphasis back in 2010 before Alaska separated Civil & Structural. We referred to ourselves as Structural engineers prior to the regulation change. Shortly thereafter, Alaska changed the regulations to be more in line with several of the other West coast states and separated Structural engineering from the Civil block. Engineers who were practicing Structural engineering could "grandfather" in under the new regulations for a set time period and receive a SE license in addition to their Civil license. For those of us that were grandfathered in, our Structural license is only applicable to Alaska and cannot be used for reciprocity in any other state. To gain reciprocity, we must take the 16 hour Structural Exam.

You will be unable to go after the Structural specific work in California (and several other states) unless it is federal or you have received a California SE license. Some of the states with SE licensure require a civil license for 2 years in the state prior to being eligible for the Structural exam.

I can practice structural engineering...and solicit service. I just can't call myself an SE. Makes sense. It's odd when someone says "I need a structural engineer" and I say I'm not one but I can help you. A client may not understand the distinction (that's the case in my example) so went elsewhere when I could do the job.

Here is the language from the PE Act

Any Civil Engineer may practice, or offer to practice Geotechnical or Structural engineering with the exception of public schools and hospitals, which require registration as a Structural Engineer.

Unfortunately California is one of the special states where they have specifically and explicitly separated Civil & Structural. More states are going or have already gone this route, especially on the West coast where earthquakes are prevalent. Seismic design is not adequately covered in the Civil-Structural PE exam.

Personally, I fall into similar shoes as I took the Civil PE with structural emphasis back in 2010 before Alaska separated Civil & Structural. We referred to ourselves as Structural engineers prior to the regulation change. Shortly thereafter, Alaska changed the regulations to be more in line with several of the other West coast states and separated Structural engineering from the Civil block. Engineers who were practicing Structural engineering could "grandfather" in under the new regulations for a set time period and receive a SE license in addition to their Civil license. For those of us that were grandfathered in, our Structural license is only applicable to Alaska and cannot be used for reciprocity in any other state. To gain reciprocity, we must take the 16 hour Structural Exam.

You will be unable to go after the Structural specific work in California (and several other states) unless it is federal or you have received a California SE license. Some of the states with SE licensure require a civil license for 2 years in the state prior to being eligible for the Structural exam.

PE Structural doesn’t adequately cover any sort of lateral force resisting systems neither for wind nor seismic. After passing it, I was shocked how little an examinee needs to know about it. Even though requiring an SE exam everywhere for all buildings is a little too much (know from my own experience, passed SE vertical and studying for lateral), there is definitely a need for an extra exam to design buildings. Similarly to CA Seismic exam, I think it would make sense to have something like FL Lateral Exam after PE Civil license is received but prior to be allowed to design buildings. Such exam would cover all aspects of lateral analysis for wind loads and touch bases on seismic but without going too crazy with special seismic details for higher SDC’s.

Back