Bridges

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
Does The Structural Engineering Reference Manual (SERM) is enough for the bridge problems for

SE I Exam?

Do the bridge problems in the exam kind of deisgn problems or analysis?

Do the bridge problems kinda of lengthy? or kinda of extracting factors from AASHTO?

I really do not know how to study for the bridge prat especially that I am not a bridge guy.

Does The Structural Engineering Reference Manual (SERM) is enough for the bridge problems for SE I Exam?

Do the bridge problems in the exam kind of deisgn problems or analysis?

Do the bridge problems kinda of lengthy? or kinda of extracting factors from AASHTO?

I really do not know how to study for the bridge prat especially that I am not a bridge guy.
1. SERM is NOT enough for bridge problems, but you can get most of them. It all depends on the questions you get. I have seen many questions which were not covered in SERM

2. They are not that lengthy. Try covering all the topics listed in NCEES.

Also if you can borrow some other bridge books and study, like Tonias, might help.

The AASHTO problems are easier than the rest. I really think they just want to see if you brought the book ;)

That being said I didn't bring the AASHTO when I took the test but reading the questions over they sounded very basic.

Similar to the wood sections IMO.

not only just bring it, but have a feel for the organization of the book. Some questions are a gimmee that you can read right out of the book, the key is knowing where to look for that quick answer. That book is so big that you can spend a lot of time trying to locate the correct section.

1. SERM is NOT enough for bridge problems, but you can get most of them. It all depends on the questions you get. I have seen many questions which were not covered in SERM2. They are not that lengthy. Try covering all the topics listed in NCEES.

Also if you can borrow some other bridge books and study, like Tonias, might help.
I am going to agree with penneng... I would not depend on the SERM as the basis for your studies for bridges. It is a helpful guide for how to answer basic questions. Think about the size of the SERM and the size of the AASHTO code. It would be like going into an English Exam on War and Peace with a Cliff Notes pamphlet. The teacher could ask you what is the 4th word on page 352. The guide will not help you out in these situations. Make sure that you have a copy, of all of the codes they recommend, with you at the exam. Find coworkers or friends at other companies that may have books that you can borrow for a bit around the exam. There are ways to find the references without having to buy them. Remember, it will be important for you to be active in the community as a PE... best get a leg up and start networking early.

Back