Bridge Tables

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MOOK

Reaction score
Does anyone have this reference for sale?

Moments, Shears, and Reactions: Continuous Highway Bridge Tables. AISC Publications.

I tried to contact AISC but it is out of print and they do not have any copy of it.

Please let me know if you have copy for sale. I need for SE-I exam.

[email protected]

Hello!

I believe I have what you are looking for, but it's a very dated reference... are you sure it's a necessary reference for the SE?

Does anyone have this reference for sale?Moments, Shears, and Reactions: Continuous Highway Bridge Tables. AISC Publications.

I tried to contact AISC but it is out of print and they do not have any copy of it.

Please let me know if you have copy for sale. I need for SE-I exam.

[email protected]
I also have this document, but it's merely a "X.XXX * wl" for the moments and shears. You won't need to do indeterminate analysis on any of the SE exams. That would be too time consuming. If anything, they would give you the moments and shear diagrams within the problem statement.

Good luck!

Thanks for your reply guys

However, if you are willing to sell it I will it buy it.

Thanks for your reply guysHowever, if you are willing to sell it I will it buy it.
My guess is that you're trying to determine the moments and shears from some of the bridge problems in the SERM. I seriously doubt those will come up. Almost all questions will be one or two span bridges and they will most likely be simple-span.

I'm not sure if I'm ready to sell.

Last edited by a moderator:
My guess is that you're trying to determine the moments and shears from some of the bridge problems in the SERM. I seriously doubt those will come up. Almost all questions will be one or two span bridges and they will most likely be simple-span.
I'm not sure if I'm ready to sell.

I am afraid that I may find some problems in the exam asking for Max moment or shear in continuous beams. Can you make a copy of the table and sell them to me. Actually, this what AISC was going to do but they even did not find any copy in stock to do that.

Copyrights, sir? The fact that a text is out of print does not negate the author's right to protection of intellectual property. Knowingly selling and purchasing unauthorized copies of copyrighted material is unethical, illegal, and, given that your message is in this online community of engineers, extremely unprofessional.

Copyrights, sir? The fact that a text is out of print does not negate the author's right to protection of intellectual property. Knowingly selling and purchasing unauthorized copies of copyrighted material is unethical, illegal, and, given that your message is in this online community of engineers, extremely unprofessional.
ramicoce,

The AISC sells this book for like $10. It is literally a bound set of pages with a cardstock cover. I realize that this is intellectual property, but I doubt that it even has an ISBN number.

Mook,

I would let this one go. It's not worth the trouble. I can guarantee that you won't find a problem with a continuous span bridge. They are rarely used except when determining a steel bridge negative moment and splice locations. As I've stated before, I would worry more about what to do with the loads that are given. The test will quiz you more on how to apply certain sections of the AASHTO rather than how to analyze a pattern/moving load.

BTW, a two or three span bridge can be determined by engineering judgement. You'll be close to within 5% of the actual results if you apply super-position carefully.

ramicoce,The AISC sells this book for like $10. It is literally a bound set of pages with a cardstock cover. I realize that this is intellectual property, but I doubt that it even has an ISBN number.

Mook,

I would let this one go. It's not worth the trouble. I can guarantee that you won't find a problem with a continuous span bridge. They are rarely used except when determining a steel bridge negative moment and splice locations. As I've stated before, I would worry more about what to do with the loads that are given. The test will quiz you more on how to apply certain sections of the AASHTO rather than how to analyze a pattern/moving load.

BTW, a two or three span bridge can be determined by engineering judgement. You'll be close to within 5% of the actual results if you apply super-position carefully.

McEngr

Thanks for your help.

Ramicoce

I hope you got it now.

"Ramicoce

I hope you got it now."

Ohh... clearly it falls under the $10 rule. Then it's totally cool to sell/purchase photocopied copyright material.

This book is copyright Feb 1, 1986. Yes, it has an ISBN. Yes, it's out of print, but AISC sells their own photocopies for 15 bucks if you're not a member (but it's their copyright).

I think you completely missed the point. The issue is not with copying material for use on a test (that's a whole other discussion); the issue is with the selling and purchasing of photocopied copyright material, and the encouragement to do so.

So, yeah Mook, I got it know.

"RamicoceI hope you got it now."

Ohh... clearly it falls under the $10 rule. Then it's totally cool to sell/purchase photocopied copyright material.

This book is copyright Feb 1, 1986. Yes, it has an ISBN. Yes, it's out of print, but AISC sells their own photocopies for 15 bucks if you're not a member (but it's their copyright).

I think you completely missed the point. The issue is not with copying material for use on a test (that's a whole other discussion); the issue is with the selling and purchasing of photocopied copyright material, and the encouragement to do so.

So, yeah Mook, I got it know.
ramicoce, a delayed response is usually a less emotional one. Correction without tact falls on deaf ears. Care to enlighten us on your PE licensure journey? Where are you in light of all of the new licensure laws for structural?

ramicoce, a delayed response is usually a less emotional one. Correction without tact falls on deaf ears. Care to enlighten us on your PE licensure journey? Where are you in light of all of the new licensure laws for structural?
Yeah, I was pretty taken aback by Mook's "I hope you got it now" comment. My beef's not with you, and there have been multiple instances on this and PPIs board where people have asked or offered photocopied material. But yeah, you're right, but waiting takes the fun out of it.

I'm not sure I'm tracking your question. My PE licensure journey is that I studied and passed the April 08 exam and am licensed in two states.

"where are you in light of all the new licensure laws for structural?" -- I think you're asking about a previous discussion on the SEI/SEII changes. If that's the case, from Tim Miller:

"The committee in charge of the PAKS will be meeting in January to review the results and based on those results develop the examination specification. We will release further information in the spring. The Council approved the change in the structural exam to be effective starting with the spring 2011 exam administration."

Yeah, I was pretty taken aback by Mook's "I hope you got it now" comment. My beef's not with you, and there have been multiple instances on this and PPIs board where people have asked or offered photocopied material. But yeah, you're right, but waiting takes the fun out of it.
I'm not sure I'm tracking your question. My PE licensure journey is that I studied and passed the April 08 exam and am licensed in two states.

"where are you in light of all the new licensure laws for structural?" -- I think you're asking about a previous discussion on the SEI/SEII changes. If that's the case, from Tim Miller:

"The committee in charge of the PAKS will be meeting in January to review the results and based on those results develop the examination specification. We will release further information in the spring. The Council approved the change in the structural exam to be effective starting with the spring 2011 exam administration."
Congratulations ramicoce,

I am studying for the SE II and SE III here in Oregon. I'm a building structures engineer. I've designed a few bridges: one box-car bridge using AASHTO 17th edition and another 140' prestressed bridge (two span of 30" voided slabs) with AASTHO 2007 (with 2008 revisions). It really opened my eyes to the problems associated with soil-structure interaction for the substructure. The pedestrian and box car bridges that I've done were single span, which doesn't require seismic. I first thought bridge engineering wasn't all that difficult (at least highway bridges). Now, my perspective has changed.

I am studying for the SE II and SE III here in Oregon. I'm a building structures engineer. I've designed a few bridges: one box-car bridge using AASHTO 17th edition and another 140' prestressed bridge (two span of 30" voided slabs) with AASTHO 2007 (with 2008 revisions). It really opened my eyes to the problems associated with soil-structure interaction for the substructure. The pedestrian and box car bridges that I've done were single span, which doesn't require seismic. I first thought bridge engineering wasn't all that difficult (at least highway bridges). Now, my perspective has changed.
You're at least lucky in that you've had real-world design experience in both buildings and bridges. That's something I wish I had. We design primarily post-tensioned segmental concrete box-girder bridges in my firm. I enjoy the kinds of projects we do, but the only building experience I have is the very basic stuff we did in college.

What do you mean soil-substructure interaction?? please note that I am not a bridge engineer.

Thanks

What do you mean soil-substructure interaction?? please note that I am not a bridge engineer. Thanks
LPILE: Ever heard of it? It's an analysis program that goes into the lateral rigidities of each pier/abutment: particularly pile GROUPS. If the lateral stiffnesses assumed in your initial analysis do not coincide with the lateral stiffness of the soil due to the subgrade reaction/etc., then you may need to adjust the quantity of pile rows or change the way the substructure is attached to the superstructure so as to have a fixed head condition verses a pin head condition. Fixed head piles assume an infinitely rigid flexural connection compared to the stiffness of the piles. A pin head is just as it sounds: a hinge/pin connection at the top of the substructure.

The seismic portion of the AASHTO code can be quite difficult in this regard. For me it was the hardest part of bridge design. Figuring prestress loss was the easy part.

LPILE: Ever heard of it? It's an analysis program that goes into the lateral rigidities of each pier/abutment: particularly pile GROUPS. If the lateral stiffnesses assumed in your initial analysis do not coincide with the lateral stiffness of the soil due to the subgrade reaction/etc., then you may need to adjust the quantity of pile rows or change the way the substructure is attached to the superstructure so as to have a fixed head condition verses a pin head condition. Fixed head piles assume an infinitely rigid flexural connection compared to the stiffness of the piles. A pin head is just as it sounds: a hinge/pin connection at the top of the substructure.
The seismic portion of the AASHTO code can be quite difficult in this regard. For me it was the hardest part of bridge design. Figuring prestress loss was the easy part.

I heared about LPILE program but I have never used it. I did not work in bridge design anyway. Is there anything in AASHTO about Soil-Structure Interaction??

I heared about LPILE program but I have never used it. I did not work in bridge design anyway. Is there anything in AASHTO about Soil-Structure Interaction??
There's a whole chapter regarding foundations. The thing that complicates it is the seismic design procedures. If you follow the seismic design stuff from the SERM, they are actually quite good. However, being able to understand center of mass, center of rigidity, and torsional moment for distribution of seismic forces may be in the exam. It's mostly the same conceptually as a single-story building. Just know the fundamental equations out of section 3.10 (if I recall correctly), and you'll be fine.

Soil structure interaction is more of a process involving the soil rigidities for pile groups. Most building projects involving seismic lateral force resisting systems are assumed from the ground up, so the actual rigidity of the footing is not taken into effect, as you well know. So to make a short story long: you'll not see this unless the answer is given. There's no possible way to test on that unless you're a geotech, IMO.

LPILE, is that one of those old DOS programs? Sounds like an extension of the old DCALC program. Bridge engineering is not easy as you have found out. Just wait until you get into the curved girder structures with multiple spans. You end up with each beam unique in length and curvature. There is much more to bridges than you common simple span bridge, as you have found out ;)

Back