Bridge Horizontal Shift! A real case study for suggestion!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jascia1919

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2- span box steel girder bridge here. 250' for each span. After it was built in 2006, the neoprene bearings at the abutment and pier developed a transverse movement of around 1.5". Basicially the entire bridge moved sideway. The deck cross slope at central pier changed about 0.5%.

I am doing some forensic study here. As the displacement is horizontal, temp effect is excluded.

Except differential settlement at central pier is there anyother possible reason for that.

Thanks

Hi,
I have a 2- span box steel girder bridge here. 250' for each span. After it was built in 2006, the neoprene bearings at the abutment and pier developed a transverse movement of around 1.5". Basicially the entire bridge moved sideway. The deck cross slope at central pier changed about 0.5%.

I am doing some forensic study here. As the displacement is horizontal, temp effect is excluded.

Except differential settlement at central pier is there anyother possible reason for that.

Thanks
Was the shift a transverse translational shift or was it a rotational shift between substructure supports?

Back