Breadth review class

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carol

Reaction score
I took the review classes from EET.  The Depth was great but the Breadth class was not very helpful.  I took the exam in April 2017 and October 2017.  My score on the Breadth did not improve at all.  I was hoping to take a Breadth class from another provider but not sure who.   I think I can handle the Depth without taking another class.   The material provided by EET was comprehensive and very organized.  It is the Breadth, I am struggling with.  Any advice will be appreciated.  

I took the SOPE review course (breadth and depth) before my first attempt then the EET (WRE depth) review before my second attempt. The SOPE breadth review is pretty good. The binder isn't as organized as EET, but they did cover a lot of topics. No matter what review you choose, the most important thing to do is to work as many problems as you can, and time yourself while working them. Best of luck! You can do it!!

I took the review classes from EET.  The Depth was great but the Breadth class was not very helpful.  I took the exam in April 2017 and October 2017.  My score on the Breadth did not improve at all.  I was hoping to take a Breadth class from another provider but not sure who.   I think I can handle the Depth without taking another class.   The material provided by EET was comprehensive and very organized.  It is the Breadth, I am struggling with.  Any advice will be appreciated.  
Hi there, which depth class did you take from EET? And did you take the actual webinar class or did you take the on-demand version? How was the breadth class not helpful, too broad of an overview? I am considering getting the on-demand version for the PM session (geotech) and I would love to hear from someone who has experience with that before shelling out all that cash....thanks!
And out of curiosity, how do you feel the April exam compared to the Oct exam in terms of difficulty and type of questions? Similar, or totally different? Oct was my first try.

I took the SOPE review course (breadth and depth) before my first attempt then the EET (WRE depth) review before my second attempt. The SOPE breadth review is pretty good. The binder isn't as organized as EET, but they did cover a lot of topics. No matter what review you choose, the most important thing to do is to work as many problems as you can, and time yourself while working them. Best of luck! You can do it!!
What is SOPE? Does their binder have lots of work out problems and helpful material? And, is it an online class, or on-demand class, or a binder only? I tried looking it up, but I got something to do with Dove soap reviews...lol  Thanks!

If structural is your problem, then focus on structural. You've seen the exam twice now, you know what types of problems to expect. 

Work 10000s of these problems. There is only so many ways they can ask problems that fall within the outline.

What is SOPE? Does their binder have lots of work out problems and helpful material? And, is it an online class, or on-demand class, or a binder only? I tried looking it up, but I got something to do with Dove soap reviews...lol  Thanks!
Ha.  It's School of PE.  There are a few advertisements for it here on EB.  They did have a fair number of problems.  Like EET, it's available on-site, live webinar or on-demand.

I took the School of PE, transportation class. It was separated into a breadth section and depth section of your choice. I found both to be invaluable when it came to the Civil Transportation exam. There were a couple of problems that I went straight to my binders for because they were the same concept or even the same problem. There was at least one section of the course that I thought could be taught better, but the notes alone were my #1 resource for the exam (outside of AASHTO Greenbook, MUTCD and the Roadside design guide of course). 

I'm 7 years into working full time, work in project management with minimal analytic design work (I've never actually designed a horizontal curve, analyzed sight distances, or run capacity analysis). Without the School of PE to organize my study schedule I would not have passed. The on-demand classes in particular were great because I could watch them at work during lunch or when I got home as the wife distracted my 2 and 4 year old. 

I took EET after failing the first time and passed this time after taking their course. I think EET did a great job for the Breadth I must say, binders are provided and very organized. There were some questions (theoretical ones) that required some knowledge and all I had to do was open the binder look up a table or there was a paragraph that had the answer. They know their stuff and would recommend it 100%. Their Depth was good too although I knew I didn't need much help there.

I passed Civil WRE on my third try. but never took a review course. I found the CERM and the accompanying practice problems book to be everything you need and more for the breadth.

I passed Civil WRE on my third try. but never took a review course. I found the CERM and the accompanying practice problems book to be everything you need and more for the breadth.
Just wanted to follow up on this. The #1 piece of advice I've given anyone who is studying for this is to know your own study methods. I tried to run through the CERM and the practice problems....but man with 2 kids running around and working full time I found it difficult immediately to keep to any kind of schedule. I needed that milestone to hit where I could focus in on Construction, then structures, geotech, survey, WRE etc. and I needed someone to set a study schedule out for me. Know yourself and know what you need to succeed. 

Thanks all for your contributions, its good to hear from different folks. I took a local PE prep class that was offered by ASPE and it was somewhat helpful, but I could likely use an on-demand course to help me learn more of the concepts. I worked a ton of problems, especially for the PM session, but based upon the Oct exam, I need to know more concepts in greater depth.

I did the ASCE prep course, and I thought the breadth was decent.  It definitely helped me in the areas where I had no experience.  I thought the Depth for structures was maybe a little weak.  The morning structures stuff I thought was pretty good though.  My only issue was that it seemed the October test took the ASCE notes from the spring, then added a step to everything they taught.  So I had to figure out what the next step was on some things.

Hi there, which depth class did you take from EET? And did you take the actual webinar class or did you take the on-demand version? How was the breadth class not helpful, too broad of an overview? I am considering getting the on-demand version for the PM session (geotech) and I would love to hear from someone who has experience with that before shelling out all that cash....thanks!
And out of curiosity, how do you feel the April exam compared to the Oct exam in terms of difficulty and type of questions? Similar, or totally different? Oct was my first try.
Hello, I took the WRE depth. I took the on-demand  version. The instructor is really good. He makes sure that the students understand the concept.  He hold extra sessions about 2 hrs on problem solving.  He also teaches part of the Breadth on hydrology and hydraulics which I did well in the breadth.  I  got all the 7 questions correct on the Hydraulics and Hydrology.  The breadth session besides the Hydraulics and Hydrology I think needs a little bit more organizing.  I guess I got spoiled on how the instructor for the Depth WRE organize his material.  Others who took the Breadth may feel different.  The October exam had a ton of theoretical questions in the morning.  The WRE depth had some difficult problems I got stumped.  Could be nerves too.  I think April and Oct are equal.  Just really a matter of solving as many problems and learning how many ways they can ask the question.  I am not sure about EET's geotech review class. This forum is really great.  A lot of people really wanting to help others succeed.  Someone out there might be able to help answer your question on EET geotech review class.  Good luck!!!

Hello, I took the WRE depth. I took the on-demand  version. The instructor is really good. He makes sure that the students understand the concept.  He hold extra sessions about 2 hrs on problem solving.  He also teaches part of the Breadth on hydrology and hydraulics which I did well in the breadth.  I  got all the 7 questions correct on the Hydraulics and Hydrology.  The breadth session besides the Hydraulics and Hydrology I think needs a little bit more organizing.  I guess I got spoiled on how the instructor for the Depth WRE organize his material.  Others who took the Breadth may feel different.  The October exam had a ton of theoretical questions in the morning.  The WRE depth had some difficult problems I got stumped.  Could be nerves too.  I think April and Oct are equal.  Just really a matter of solving as many problems and learning how many ways they can ask the question.  I am not sure about EET's geotech review class. This forum is really great.  A lot of people really wanting to help others succeed.  Someone out there might be able to help answer your question on EET geotech review class.  Good luck!!!
Thanks for the feedback. I might try for the PM session, still mentally debating the merits vs cost. :) Hey, I got all the groundwater and seepage questions right...yay for something going well. I too had a lot of theoretical concept questions, especially in the PM session. Some I knew, others I was clueless...

And...if there are any geotechs out there who took the EET geotech review class, I would love to hear your opinion about the class. Is it well organized and worth the cost? Thanks!

What book do you recommend buying for PE Civil Breadth and WRE practice problems besides the NCEES? I will taking the PE exam in April 2018 for the 2nd time. I've already taken SOPE review course and need more practice problems.

Back