Braking Force

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dessenza

Reaction score
Hi All

I find another problem regarding the modeling of braking force into the computer model. I'm using Australian Standard for Bridge Design AS5100. In Part 2 about design load of braking forces from traffic it is stated that the braking force shall be applied in accordance with the distribution of mass of the vertical traffic load (Truck & UDL load). The bolded one is not common assumption in my experience with Indonesian code. I don't know what AASHTO said about braking force modeling. In Indonesia usually we just divide the braking force with distribution factor as a function of girder spacing, the same with transverse analysis of vertical traffic load and/or sometimes just with the number of bearings because we definitely use braking force to design the bearing. My question is in you guys experiences, what is the proper mathematical model for braking force if we're using grillage model? What is your interpretation of the bolded statement above? I understand that mass is lumped at the node in FEM model but I don't know how a computer program based on FEM will seperate the mass of moving traffic load from total mass in global matrix. I'm looking forward for your comments. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Back