BP Oil Leak Solution

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this site: The Oil Drum has some great information. All of these suggestions and more have been posted and then refuted by people who seem to know what they're talking about. My favorite so far is to commission Kotex to design a 20" cotton 'plug' and then get the ROVs to operate the gigantic applicator.

you know....I have been thinking. Why can't they build a 2 piece unit that would resemble a large steel barrel that would seal along both sides. on the top and bottom have it narrow down to a size that would be near the size of the pipes but line them with an inflateable seal. Clamp the barrel around the leaking area after they attach the new connection, then inflate the the top and bottom "Seals" until they actually seal against the pipes. that should work.
any thoughts?
Assuming a reservoir pressure of 15000 psi that puts the pressure at the wellhead some where around 500 to 1000 psi over the hydrostatic pressure of the sea floor.

Average OD of the wellhead or BOP section is at least 36in. Any sealing surface would act like a hydraulic piston with a force acting area of about 1000 in^2. That iss about 560 - 1000 kips to keep anything sealing over the wellhead or the BOPs. That a lot of force to try to stop with just rubber. any external seal would have a tough time staying in place.

you know....I have been thinking. Why can't they build a 2 piece unit that would resemble a large steel barrel that would seal along both sides. on the top and bottom have it narrow down to a size that would be near the size of the pipes but line them with an inflateable seal. Clamp the barrel around the leaking area after they attach the new connection, then inflate the the top and bottom "Seals" until they actually seal against the pipes. that should work.
any thoughts?
Assuming a reservoir pressure of 15000 psi that puts the pressure at the wellhead some where around 500 to 1000 psi over the hydrostatic pressure of the sea floor.

Average OD of the wellhead or BOP section is at least 36in. Any sealing surface would act like a hydraulic piston with a force acting area of about 1000 in^2. That iss about 560 - 1000 kips to keep anything sealing over the wellhead or the BOPs. That a lot of force to try to stop with just rubber. any external seal would have a tough time staying in place.

Is that pressure upward? I really haven't looked at the videos, but I was assuming there is a flange nearby that the new plug is pressing on. I would think hydraulic fluid could be used to maintain the seal. It would be the same as the movement in the robotics they are using down there now.

again....still just thinking out loud, AND out of my expertise.

I'm telling you $1 billion in small bills injected at high pressure, we'll call it the 'money shot'.

Okay, this may sound like i'm being stupid, but hey aren't we brainstorming... I am thinking along the lines of flubber... silly putty... stretch arm strong... or that floam stuff...

I am pretty sure silly putty does not freeze well, but if one of the other nearly liquid solids is still pliable at freezing temps... They have already cut the pipe, which means that those robot things should be capeable of working with some sort of caulking gun system with what ever nearly solid is the choice.

We have a slightly smaller, really long A$$ pipe, that has some sort of mechanism at the end of it like those butterfly nuts. We guide the long small pipe into the larger leaking pipe and then jerk it out engaging the mechanism to expand and creating a partial seal which would then be caulked with the nearly liquid solid.

I realize that there are a lot of innuendos here, as well as issues, but please hear me out...

Issue one would be that the "pressure and force" of the oil spewing out of the existing pipe might prevent the insertion of said smaller pipe. A feasable soultion would be to calculate that, fill the smaller pipe with oil (or a liquid with near the same density and other characteristics), position it, and when almost ready, turn massive pumps on to trump the larger pipe. I realize that this would in essence be pumping oil out and creating a worse situation, but if in the end the leak is completely sealed, then we are ahead of the game.

I guess the concept would work if the pipe was larger, but I kind of feel like that's already been tried and didn't work with the whole concrete funnel thing. You could have your little tree of BOP's and flanges and all that stuff ready on the smaller (or larger) pipe, and in essence turn the thing into a functioning rig again. Which would be issue two... these materials are not exactly readily available. (My solution to that one is... this is the freaking free world and then some that are experiencing the impacts, we should be able to get anything in less then a weeks time if the money is right)

If the pipe we were inserting was already filled with a liquid, would this not prevent the ice crystals from forming somehow?

And did I mention that Bruce Willis, Billy Bob Thorton, and Ben Affleck and the rest of the cast from Armageddon are the ones that have to preform said above operation?

The thing about all of the above, is that we could easily experiment with the senarios prior to implementing to see if they worked. Scaled models and the likes in pressure chambers with really rocking HVAC units.

Oh and about that cleaning up afterwards... we need to figure out how to infuse the booms with the dispursing chem and attach spill absorbant pads (the kind that doesn't soak up water) on the "outsides" of them. Pool all of the resources of every construction site on earth together since half of them use soil to soak up their leaks anyway, and circle the "spill".

Okay, since i'm just a lowly tech, all you PE's need to figure out how to implement the above :) although I'm sure you guys will come up with WHY it won't work, which will make me feel better knowing that at least I tried this one out and I'll move on to the next idea.

<snip> Drilling Mud </snip>

That is why you use BOPs with top kill ports already plumbed in.

The thing is there is a tree of cut-offs that would do the trick... if only they could get them to fire.

SapperPE said:
Interesting tidbit of information I heard today. One of our QC inspectors knows one of the fluid engineers for the company that was going to do the junk shot. Apparently, they had the finish in their sights last week, had the mud in there, and were getting ready to start pumping concrete, when they got a call from the Obama administration that told them to stop and bail out...
I call bullshit.

Hey this administration is hell bent on getting cap-n-trade passed whatever the cost. Just look at all that tax revenue, man!

SapperPE said:
Interesting tidbit of information I heard today. One of our QC inspectors knows one of the fluid engineers for the company that was going to do the junk shot. Apparently, they had the finish in their sights last week, had the mud in there, and were getting ready to start pumping concrete, when they got a call from the Obama administration that told them to stop and bail out...
I call bullshit.

Could be. Supposedly the kid was very upset over the ordeal, as he anticipated getting the recognition and $$$ as part of the team that stopped it.

SapperPE said:
I call bullshit.

Could be. Supposedly the kid was very upset over the ordeal, as he anticipated getting the recognition and $$$ as part of the team that stopped it.
Again this is going to turn into engineer bashing by the media and congress is going to push for more rules and regulations that don't do anything. It was bean counters, management, and politicians that have made this a disaster.

I guess if they removed the exception and had something a little better than whistleblower protection laws which don't do much for the person being protected.

SapperPE said:
I call bullshit.
I detect a whiff of bovine feces myself. On the other hand, I've learned to have a very healthy mistrust of our elected officials, so I'm gonna keep it in the back of my mind.

Based on Obama's hunt for "who's ass to kick," it wouldn't surprise me if his "experts" didn't think it would work and shot it down accordingly. I don't think just about anything is too far fetched to put past the "experts."

BP STOPPED THE OIL LEAK!!!

The story is that the BP engineers working on potential solutions brainstormed a collar that would actually wrap all the way around the pipe. It was made of 18k gold for its superior corrosion resistance. The engineers figured that once it was put on, the leak would stop putting out. They deemed it the wedding band solution.

What about Mighty Mend It?

Oh where have you gone Billy Mays? Our nations turns it eyes to you.......

I think Mighty Putty would be the junk shot material of choice.

Has anyone passed on these ideas to the people in charge? Looks like they could use all the help they can get.

I doubt it, though I'd imagine that the Mighty Putty to stop the leak and Oxy Clean for clean-up is a blockbuster combo.

Back