Books and Codes needed for PE Civil/Struct Depth

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanity

Reaction score
What do i need to bring this PE Civil/Struct Depth, Books, Codes, etc. Please advice....

Vinsanity,

For the PM section I would advise at a minimum to bring all of the NCEES ref standards. Any additional book would depend on your study habits.

When I started studying, I figured I wouldn't bother with a couple of the codes/references listed by NCEES and instead rely on the CERM or my textbooks for the exam. However, as I studied, I ended up acquiring all of the NCEES references and, in retrospect, I'm glad that I did. I believe I used all except PCI, and that's because I was already very familiar with the PCI material.

I'd also bring along your favorite text in each subject to refer to if you get in a bind. There's no limit to what you can bring in. When I took it in April, one guy even had a wooden bookshelf on a makeshift dolly full of his references.

Finally, I'd make a crib notebook too. In here, place an organized set of problems that were a little difficult for you while you were studying, as well as a formula sheet. I had a sheet of transportation formulas in mine that saved me at least a couple minutes in the first half.

Do you think it's necessary to have the AISC Seismic Design Manual listed on the NCEES website?
I think if you don't have it and miss even 1 easy "look-up" type question, you're going to hate yourself for not getting it. Yes, it is expensive to purchase all of the standards... more-so for Civil than any other discipline... but it's worth it when you get the passing letter!

Do you think it's necessary to have the AISC Seismic Design Manual listed on the NCEES website?
OK, so there was one code I didn't bring. I did bring Seismic Provisions for Structural Steel Buildings (341-05), which is a free download from AISC's website, but that was the only part of the seismic design manual that I brought. I didn't need it, but I was probably just lucky, so I would still recommend getting it if you can.

One note on buying these manuals; don't hesitate to buy used on Amazon, particularly the AISC steel manual. The used ones I bought were in virtually new condition. Again, particularly in the case of the steel manual, I wonder if the college kids aren't just getting them at the extremely low student price and immediately reselling them to make a few bucks. I say this because I purchased a "used" copy of the AISC 13th edition in January; when it came in it was flawless and was the most recent third printing, so it included all the errata.

I have the AISC Manual of Steel Construction LRFD, 3rd Edition. Now the requirements state that examinees may choose between AISC/ASD or AISC/LRFD following the 13th edition. Do I need the 13th edition, or will the LRFD I currently have be sufficient? Any advice?

I have the AISC Manual of Steel Construction LRFD, 3rd Edition. Now the requirements state that examinees may choose between AISC/ASD or AISC/LRFD following the 13th edition. Do I need the 13th edition, or will the LRFD I currently have be sufficient? Any advice?
I'm assuming that you're doing Structural for your afternoon section. If I were you, I'd find a way to buy, beg, or steal the 13th edition. Occasionally, a problem will specify a procedure to be used for a design problem... your book may not even have that procedure, or may call it by a different name. I can't get into any more detail than that... but I was glad that I had the correct edition when I took my exam.

I'm assuming that you're doing Structural for your afternoon section. If I were you, I'd find a way to buy, beg, or steal the 13th edition. Occasionally, a problem will specify a procedure to be used for a design problem... your book may not even have that procedure, or may call it by a different name. I can't get into any more detail than that... but I was glad that I had the correct edition when I took my exam.
Thanks for the response. And isn't the morning and afternoon session of the Structural I exam the same?

^^ Yes, you're right.

In the SE1, you'll have an AM exam and then a PM exam. There will be no module to choose.

Sorry... I thought you were taking Civil with structural afternoon. since you're taking Structural 1, I would assume that it's even more important to have the correct edition.

Back