Book Recommendations

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished the first book of the series: 50 Shades of Grey.

Not sure if I liked it, but it was definitely entertaining enough for me to sit down and read cover-to-cover in 2 days. Been a while since I've blown through a book that quickly that wasn't authored by Dr Seuss...

I will have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I could turn off the TV and not mindlessly channel surf for a couple days...

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a difficult book, plus I was able to sit down and read for 6+ hours each day. I'm not a fast reader either, I just happen to have time to do it with this book.

Just finished a Stephen coonts book, The disciple. Never read him before, but it was only $1.50 so i figured why not. Yeah I have determined I'm not military spy novel sort of person. It was a decent read, but I don't think I would read another of his books.

I wish I could read that fast. :(
If given the opportunity I plow through books. 2-3 days max because I can't put them down...unless it is a book I just can't can't get into...like girl witht he dragon tatoo...took me forever to read. I put it down for several weeks before I started up again.

I'm almost done with The Strain trilogy. I can't remember the last time I read one book that fast, let alone three books in a month. Really enjoyed it.

Not sure if I liked it, but it was definitely entertaining enough for me to sit down and read cover-to-cover in 2 days. Been a while since I've blown through a book that quickly that wasn't authored by Dr Seuss...

I will have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the fact that I could turn off the TV and not mindlessly channel surf for a couple days...
did your wife read it too?

Last summer, I wanted some mindless reading, so I read the entire Stephanie Plum series... she eats a lot of tastycakes
That's what I need. Not the tastycakes, more mindless reading. I've read about 10 books so far this summer and I can't get geared up for anything with some depth, and everytime I turn on the tv lately, if it's not King of the Hill, I have to turn it off. Some really bad programming out there...

She read it before me. She's about 1/2 way through the 2nd book and from what she's told me so far, I have no interest in reading any further.

The only reason she's reading the series is because the neighborhood is currently passing around the series.

Last summer, I wanted some mindless reading, so I read the entire Stephanie Plum series... she eats a lot of tastycakes
That's what I need. Not the tastycakes, more mindless reading. I've read about 10 books so far this summer and I can't get geared up for anything with some depth, and everytime I turn on the tv lately, if it's not King of the Hill, I have to turn it off. Some really bad programming out there...
The first one is called One for the Money, by Janet Evanovich

That's one of the "problems" when I'm over here is that I actually go through books too fast. I had 5 or 6 books loaded on my Kindle when I got here 4 weeks ago and I am probably going to finish the last of those tonight. The biggest thing is that there usually isn't a whole lot to do at night. I've got a few AFN channels in my room this time but several of them are basically unwatchable and the rest of them are pretty hit and miss with the shows that are on so reading it is. Fortunately the IT nazis haven't figured out to block Kindles yet so I can still download new books to my work computer and then transfer them over to my Kindle (no wifi and definitely no 3G coverage for me).

That's one of the "problems" when I'm over here is that I actually go through books too fast. I had 5 or 6 books loaded on my Kindle when I got here 4 weeks ago and I am probably going to finish the last of those tonight. The biggest thing is that there usually isn't a whole lot to do at night. I've got a few AFN channels in my room this time but several of them are basically unwatchable and the rest of them are pretty hit and miss with the shows that are on so reading it is. Fortunately the IT nazis haven't figured out to block Kindles yet so I can still download new books to my work computer and then transfer them over to my Kindle (no wifi and definitely no 3G coverage for me).
Kindle reader on my Mac is my new "book" of choice. Although, sometimes I think the prices they charge for eBooks is pretty outrageous. The eBook should not cost more than the pulp version on the shelf. I shop the specials...

She read it before me. She's about 1/2 way through the 2nd book and from what she's told me so far, I have no interest in reading any further.

The only reason she's reading the series is because the neighborhood is currently passing around the series.
Heard about it in my bootcamp workout group (so same as your neighborhood ladies)...pron in a book, definitely. Think it may be helping out some of uptight SAHMs around here though. ;)

I read the first 250 pages or so of "Watchers" by Dean R. Koontz yesterday. My folks read a lot of him when I was growing up, and my mom pulled a couple off the shelf over the weekend. It's a good, easy read. Interesting and suspenseful.

I read the first 250 pages or so of "Watchers" by Dean R. Koontz yesterday. My folks read a lot of him when I was growing up, and my mom pulled a couple off the shelf over the weekend. It's a good, easy read. Interesting and suspenseful.
Watchers was one of his good ones. Check out Phantoms, Whispers, Strangers, and Lightning. Those are good, too.

I read EMPIRE OF THE SUMMER MOON, recently and if you like history it is really good.

"Although readers may be more familiar with the tribal names Apache and Sioux, it was in fact the legendary fighting ability of the Comanches that determined just how and when the American West opened up. Comanche boys became adept bareback riders by age six; full Comanche braves were considered the best horsemen who ever rode. They were so masterful at war and so skillful with their arrows and lances that they stopped the northern drive of colonial Spain from Mexico and halted the French expansion westward from Louisiana. White settlers arriving in Texas from the eastern United States were surprised to find the frontier being rolled backward by Comanches incensed by the invasion of their tribal lands. So effective were the Comanches that they forced the creation of the Texas Rangers and account for the advent of the new weapon specifically designed to fight them: the six-gun."

It provided and excellent rounding out of my history of the west. Particularly I didn't have extensive knowledge of the SW and how that portion of the country was settled. It really connected a lot of dots for me.

Heard about it in my bootcamp workout group (so same as your neighborhood ladies)...pron in a book, definitely. Think it may be helping out some of uptight SAHMs around here though. ;)
ummm, I just started reading it during lunch today... uhh, oh my... I can officially say no one can make fun of my romance novels in any way shape or form now.

Those two get it on endlessly in that book. I ended up reading it out of curiosity towards the fact that my wife got all wound up and wouldn't tell me about what was going on in the book. At one point as I was reading she said she actually felt embarrased that I was reading it because then I knew what she was so worked up over.

Latest posts

Back