Billing Rate vs Pay

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys and gals. After passing my PE exam about a year ago and receving no raise/bonus, I've been wondering how my pay stacks up. I know a lot of factors (location, experience, area of expertise, benefits, etc.) play into this so I'll just keep the question simple. What percentage of your billing rate are you paid? I'll get it strarted; I'm at 31.58% and my billing rate is $95. Looking for some good feedback so I can quit thinking about whether or not i'm underpaid. Thanks!

Mine is infinity as I am not billed out (govt employee).

But back when I worked for a consulting firm, I was ~30%.

Hi guys and gals. After passing my PE exam about a year ago and receving no raise/bonus, I've been wondering how my pay stacks up. I know a lot of factors (location, experience, area of expertise, benefits, etc.) play into this so I'll just keep the question simple. What percentage of your billing rate are you paid? I'll get it strarted; I'm at 31.58% and my billing rate is $95. Looking for some good feedback so I can quit thinking about whether or not i'm underpaid. Thanks!
Hello Jukka Brothers, take a look at this thread which has some good discussion on wage levels after passing the PE.

depends on what I am working on. some things are exactly what I make, others have 1.3 to 1.6 ratio to the billing rate.

While we're different that we're a large EPC and don't direct bill clients, it comes out to around 42%. There are overhead numbers, benefits, etc that make that number approximately useless, though.

I'd guess that your compensation (including benefits) should be between 33% and 50%. In general, I believe that $95 is WAY to low to bill out for a PE. Many charge $150, 175 or even up to $250. I deal primarily in the IT field, and there are a lot of IT contractors that bill up to $250. A licensed professional should be able to command the same as a non-licensed IT support person, IMHO.

You can also look at places like salary.com and glassdoor.com and NCEES magazine and website.

Part of the reason I went to work for the government was frustration over billing rates.

My pay was not increasing but my billing rate kept going up - making it tougher for me to make budget on my projects.

"Yeah, we are going to take more cash from clients for your work. But you won't see any of it."

I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

Back