Big bottom

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just poured a transmission tower base that's 30 truckloads of cement, 10' diameter, and 104' tall (7' above ground 97' below).
the GM where I work (old school engineer) busted me on this one. You don't "pour" concrete, you "place" it; he said you pour coffee not concrete. To not confuse it with placing a precast concrete object, I'll use the phrase "cast in place". He also got me on letting concrete "dry".

We just poured a transmission tower base that's 30 truckloads of cement, 10' diameter, and 104' tall (7' above ground 97' below).
the GM where I work (old school engineer) busted me on this one. You don't "pour" concrete, you "place" it; he said you pour coffee not concrete. To not confuse it with placing a precast concrete object, I'll use the phrase "cast in place". He also got me on letting concrete "dry".
Huh. I've been using "pour" and never gotten any crap over it. Professionals I work with use it as well, first time I've heard this. (I'm also electrical though, and as long as it's supporting my conductor, don't really care!)

I don't pour coffee though. Can't stand the stuff. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Guess we better take all of those "Pour Cards" out of our QC manual!

Back