Big 3 PE (Mech, Civil, Electrical) or own company

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontlikebeinganeng

Reaction score
Hello engineerboards,

I'm currently a petroleum engineer with about 8 years of experience. Double PE (Civil, Mechanical) and am looking to get electrical PE or do something else worth doing. Currently feeling the urge/itch to make more money and recognition (a longing if you would).

Love challenges but afraid to lose the nice cush salary.

Q. Maybe I'm still starry eyed but should I get PE in electrical or should I leave engineering (to start own company)?

It would be really impressive to pull a P.E. hat trick, but I don't see how an additional PE would automatically lead to more money and recognition.  Maybe you could be a petroleum engineer by day and an electrical engineer by night, like Batman with an engineering utility belt.

What do you do with multiple PE licenses? Do you sign off on drawings in multiple disciplines? Maybe its because I've only worked for large multi-discipline firms, but I can't imagine being over multiple disciplines on the same project (with the exception of Elec & I&C which are very similar).

I beat my fresh out of college engineers with them. (bad joke intended)

I sign off in disciplines I am licensed to. It gives me more credibility and a lot of times, California requires a PE to sign off on mechanical, civil or electrical.

Back